Custom Waypoint Symbols

I don`t care what anyone says,There is no way for the same custom waypoint symbols to show up in both a Oregon 450 and Basecamp.I named,renamed,sized,resized.And come to the conclusion that Custom waypoint symbols are a waste of time.So,why bother to include it on the Oregon 450?My GPS software and basecamp are all up to date.
  • Funny, I have 63 custom waypoint symbols that show up in MapSource 6.16.3, Basecamp 3.1.2 and my GPSmap 76CSx (loaded with Garmin's xImage program).

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

Garmin Oregon Wiki - Custom Symbols
  • ximage

Ximage doesn`t work with the Oregon 450.Be nice if it did.:)
  • Ximage doesn`t work with the Oregon 450.

No it doesn't because the Oregon supports mass storage mode (xImage was developed before Garmin units did).

You therefore have to copy the .bmp files for your Custom Symbols to the Oregon. Not having an Oregon I don't know what filenames it expects but I bet that if they're named correctly and are in the correct folder everything will work just fine.
  • Custom waypoint symbols

I guess I should have stated that a little different.The Custom waypoint symbols show up on my Oregon 450 alright,But no matter how I name them they will not show on Basecamp.I made them all 24 bit,less than32x32 pixel and made them all .bmp.I even tried cussing,that made me feel better,but still nothing on Basecamp.It`s a shame Garmin doesn`t have a simple program to incorporate them into Basecamp.
  • But no matter how I name them they will not show on Basecamp.

I created mine, many years ago, in Windows Paint. Pretty simple stuff. As I recall they MUST be 24x24 pixels (no more, no less).

The files MUST be named 000.bmp, 001.bmp etc. The must also be in the

My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols

folder. The trouble is the exact location of My Documents depends on your version of Windows. That said Basecamp/MapSource etc create this folder when they're installed so you just have to find it and put your files there.

I have Mapsource on Win2K, WinXP and Vista boxes and BaseCamp on WinXP and Vista. My custom symbols work in all of them.
  • I used Paint also to create my symbols,like I said they show up on the GPS.Now pixel size is another thing I`ll check out.I read in another forum that they had to be under 32 pixel all around.I am naming them right and have them in My Documents/My Garmin/Custom Waypoint Symbols.I use win xp.Now that being said I didn`t have that folder when I installed Basecamp,because i didn`t have the need.In the mean time I will go back and see about making them 24x24 pixel.I`ll be back.:rolleyes:
  • Now pixel size is another thing I`ll check out.

Actually I was mistaken. My custom symbols are all 16x16 although the latest version of MapSource and the Oregon may support larger.

I'm sure that both MapSource and Basecamp install some example custom symbols. I believe I used those as a template but again mine were created in Nov 2004!
  • Well I resized them to 24x24 and tried that and nothing.Basecamp does have a few custom symbols(all Blue Dots)But they are showing as PNG.And I don`t know how to change bmp to png.I put a Custom Symbols folder in the Basecamp folder ,but it still doesn`t recognize them.
  • Windows Paint on my Vista box will "save as" PNG files. My symbols are all in BMP format.

I think custom symbols must be 256 colors (i.e. 8 bit) as well.
  • These are the directions I got from Oregon Wikispaces.com:•Symbols should be saved in the Garmin\CustomSymbols\ directory.
    •Symbols should be saved in a 24-bit Windows-style bitmap format. The free Icon-Editor Icofx or Microsoft Paint can be used to create these bitmaps.
    •Symbols should not exceed 32 pixels in width or height.
    •Replacement symbols should be named using the <sym> element in the waypoint’s GPX file (i.e. “Flag, Blue.bmp”).
    •New symbols can be given any other filename (i.e. “New Symbol.bmp”).
    •Custom Symbols should be limited 56 per device.
    •To make a pixel transparent, set its color to magenta (RGB = 255, 0, 255).
    •By default, a symbol drawn on the map will be centered on a waypoint. To adjust this “hot spot”, include the offset from the upper-left corner in the filename (i.e. Anchor.10x20.bmp)
    •To replace existing symbols, please consult the complete listing of existing geocache and waypoint symbol names.

And I followed these direction:
    Once you have created a set of symbols using the guidelines above you need to do the following so that BaseCamp and your Oregon will understand the same set of symbols:

•Kill BaseCamp if it is running
    •Copy up to 64 custom symbol .bmp files to the following folder on your PC: "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" (create this folder if it does not exist)
    •Rename your .bmp files to have names like 000.bmp, 001.bmp, etc. You can have up to 64 custom symbols (i.e. 063.bmp is the last custom symbol name which will work).
    •Copy the .bmp files from your PC into the following folder your Oregon: [OR drive]:\Garmin\CustomSymbols (create this directory if it does not exist). You will need to rename the files on your Oregon from "000.bmp" to "Custom 0.bmp", "001.bmp" to "Custom 1.bmp", etc.
    •Restart BaseCamp
    •Waypoints using custom symbols on the Oregon and BaseCamp should now display the same symbols.
    I followed all of these guidelines and still nothing.