This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is BASECAMP so S-L-O-W?!

I am not talking about download, exclusively. But the program itself is a slug. I love it, I love my Birdseye images. But the time it takes to open basecamp, load images, and transition from task to task is ridiculous. I run Vista on my Gateway laptop. dual 64. And the DSl speed is tops. I understand the download time just due to the sheer amount of images, but the program is silly slow. Anything happening to speed this up? :eek:
  • Not unless wherever you got the maps from provides a way of doing so.  If they are simply .img files you can though copy them to a removeable disk or virtual drive and BC will read the maps from there, that speeds things up.  Detail is here http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to SUSSAMB

Hi! My BaseCamp is very slow navigating through the original Garmin TopoActive maps, do you think it is normal? I also have an open maps and everything is great, it is very slow only with the original Garmin Maps.

• Are they installed to your PC or are you reading them from the device?

• Former Member

I am reading them from the device because I have no idea how to install the TopoActive maps on my PC. I tried with Garmin Express but there is no option to do that. Thanks!

• I don't have TopoActive maps so aren't sure whether it should appear in Express or not, does the map show there?  If so look under map options, note the option to install to computer will on;y be there if you've updated the maps on your device, have you done so?

If none of that helps come back so we can explain what to try next.

• Former Member

Yes, the maps have been updated to the last version available atm. Unfortunately, there is no option to install them to the PC, probably it was there in the older version of Garmin Express. Anyway, never mind, I delete them and keep using the openmaps, no problem at all with that! I also called Garmin about this problem, they said they would have got back to me in a few days, like 3 weeks ago! I just give up on it. Thanks, though!