This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the sync relationship between Garmin Connect (Android), Connect Web, Montana 700, Basecamp and InReach Mini 2

Getting all these to sync properly is a maddening exercise in frustration.  I start with loading some tracks and waypoints to my Montana 700 using Basecamp.  This then syncs to Garmin Connect on my phone. Don't get me started on the Connect Web or InReach. It starts off fine, but after a few syncs I end up with duplicate, triplicate and sometimes quadruplicate waypoints on both my Montana 700 and Garmin Connect android app.  Some have their full names, some have truncated names.  The tracks are even worse. I've tried to keep the track names within the length that the 700 can handle (looks like 35 characters?) and they show up fine on Garmin Connect at first, but after a few syncs they are truncated to 10 or 15 characters and looks like they are randomly renumbered. For instance I have a through hike labeled Through Hike Day 01 2023-09-10 10:15, Through Hike Day 02 2023-09-11 09:01, etc. When they show up in Connect, the last few characters are truncated, so there seems to be a difference between the maximum track name length in the 700 and Connect.  However I can edit them in Connect and add the missing characters on the end? Why does that work if the full name can't sync?  And then after a couple of syncs they end up being renamed Hike 1, Hike 2, etc. and the 1 and 2 don't even correspond to the original order. This messes up the names in both Garmin Connect and the Montana 700. So I have to delete them all and load them from Basecamp to the 700 again and sync all over.

What am I doing wrong, or is this whole sync process complete garbage between the Montana, Garmin Connect, etc.?

• I think I've managed to straighten the track names out at least. Garmin Connect limits the names to it looks like 32 characters. If you sync track names longer than that from the Montana to Connect, they will be truncated. However, that's not the end of that.  If you keep syncing, the truncated names don't sync back to the Montana properly; they actually get completely screwed up. So it looks like you never want to have track names longer than 32 characters in Montana, otherwise they will get totally messed up during back and forth syncing with Garmin Connect.

• Syncing of waypoints is still a complete mess. Some get synced to Connect from the Montana 700 unchanged, some get truncated to 14 characters, some 15, some 16. And then they get synced back to the Montana There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  One, whose original name was Arch "(2019-10-01)" on the Montana, got synced to Connect no shows up as just "Arch" on the Connect app, and "Arch (Sunday)" on my 700.

I think I'll just break the link between my phone and the Montana and stop syncing altogether. I'd rather the waypoints and tracks on my Montana not be truncated or modified when they are synced back and forth to Connect.

• This isn't a BaseCamp issue. Try contacting Product Support or a more general website like http://www.poi-factory.com/ or https://www.gpsrchive.com/