Etrex 32x won't follow routes created in Basecamp

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue where my new Etrex 32x doesn't show the 'Go' button when trying to follow a route created in Basecamp using on road navigation.  I first tried to follow a fairly complex route created using a third party OSM based map but to try to debug this I've tried to eliminate any complications I can think of by:

- removed the SD card from the Etrex

- updated the maps (TopoActive) and software on the Etrex using Garmin Express

- reset all settings on the etrex including delete user data

- uninstalled / reinstalled Basecamp and deleted the third party map. 

- Allowed the updated TopoActive map time to sync from the Etrex (green progress bar) in Basecamp then selected this in the 'Maps' menu.

- created and sent a very simple route which goes around 1/4 mile in my home town between two on road points.  Created using the 'Bicycle' profile with default settings, and on the Etrex I've set 'Calculate routes for'='Bicycle'.

Even after all that, when I go to Where To / Routes / [select route] on the Etrex, if I have the Etrex set to 'Guidance Method' = 'Off Road' the Go button appears, but if I set to 'Guidance method' = 'On road for time' OR 'On road for distance' the Go button does not appear, no matter how long I wait.

If I select a point on the map on the device to navigate to, on road navigation works fine, so it's something to do with routes sent from Basecamp I think.  I've tried with the Basecamp setting 'Always match route to the map on my device when transferring' on or off, it doesn't help.

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong please, or any other troubleshoting steps to try?

Thanks!

• Well, I've found what the etrex doesn't like by messing around with the XML.  Basecamp creates routes containing structures like this:

<rtept lat="51.018632780760527" lon="-3.111198004335165">
          <ele>19.4453125</ele>
          <time>2024-03-02T16:44:19Z</time>
          <name>Northfield Avenue11</name>
          <sym>Waypoint</sym>
          <extensions>
            <trp:ViaPoint>
              <trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode>
              <trp:ElevationMode>Standard</trp:ElevationMode>
            </trp:ViaPoint>
            <gpxx:RoutePointExtension>
              <gpxx:Subclass>000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</gpxx:Subclass>
              <gpxx:rpt lat="51.018634121865034" lon="-3.111200435087085">
                <gpxx:Subclass>06009EC205010EAE05002116000016001600</gpxx:Subclass>
              </gpxx:rpt>
              <gpxx:rpt lat="51.018919944763184" lon="-3.11081528663

i.e. where the route point extensions contains additional points.  I guess but don't know that these are what Basecamp calls 'shaping points' but selecting the option to remove shaping points doesn't remove them.  If I remove them manually (editing the file on the device with notepad++) the route works fine.  This isn't a good solution though because it seems like if I create a complex route many of the points needed to follow the routeI want are encoded like this rather than as normal points.  (Besides which it's a pain and shouldn't be necessary).

Any idea why the software is creating routes like this if the devices can't handle them?  Could there be an option I've turned on by mistake that has survived a reinstall / reset of both Basecamp and Etrex?

• I have an older outdoor device and the go button isn't showing up.  If I press the enter key and wait a bit, the route will disappear and the Go button will appear.  Pressing enter again seems to load the route.  I suspect this is an issue with the device issue.

Each point in seen in the Route Properties  begins with <rtept .  The first extension beginning with <trp will define the point as a Via point or a Shaping point..  Skipping down to your last line ( <gpxx:rpt ) will be a list of points that I believe create the path to the next route point.

All of these extensions were developed by Garmin so their devices and software should be able to handle them.

You should report the issue to Garmin Support.

On thing you can try is after creating your route, switch to the Global Map and do a recalculation  Then send that route to your device and see what happens.

Recalculating with the Global Map will remove all of the <gpxx:rpt points (the point starting in you last line) from the gpx file that is sent to your device.

• Hi thanks it’s good to know it’s not just me. I’ve raised this with support so we’ll see what they say. I’ll try your suggestion with the global map, will be interesting to know if that helps.