Bus Activity Profile Option Missing

Bought the Dezl 780 LMT-S. Somewhat regret it since the device is pretty useless to me without BaseCamp. Tedious to create routes.

I'm using BC 4.7.2.

Issue I'm having is that I need some of my routes to use our local BusWays. Basecamp does not have a default Bus Activity Profile Option. If I create a custom Activity Profile it has to be based off existing profiles and RV or Trucks is the closest, but they can't go on BusWays AND if I select BUS on my device they obviously don't sync and I get incorrect profile errors on the device. Even if I create a Custom Route, where there is an option to choose "BUS", this custom profile is not recognized on my device. I hope like hell it's me doing something wrong and that someone can assist in me getting to use the device Bus Profile with Basecamp. Any assistance is appreciated.

• My understanding is that you are a commercial truck driver in an area where you are allowed to drive on Busways, but the Truck profile prevents the use of Busways.  A Route created in BaseCamp using the Truck profile can be sent to your device and used with the Truck profile on your device but not the Bus profile.  You've tried tor create a custom Profile called Bus in BaseCamp but this is not being accepted by the Bus Profile on your device.

I assume that BaseCamp will allow the use of Busways with the Truck Profile?

My first thought would be to check your device has a specific avoidance for Busways.  This will likely be be under Navigation - you'll have to check your manual.  If that is the case and you can create profiles on your device, create a second truck Profile with that avoidance unchecked.

Regarding creating a custom Bus profile in BaseCamp you will need to try and match the avoidance settings as closely as possible between your device and BaseCamp.

A trick that is sometimes useful with outdoor devices is to create a route using your desired setting.  Open the Route Properties window and change the Profile to Direct.  A device may automatically recalculate the route using the current device Profile.  If it doesn't it you may be able to edit the route on the device and in doing so it will adopt the active Profile on the device.  (My outdoor device does not allow editing of sent Routes sent with a Profile other than Direct.)

Sorry that I can't be of more help.  Your best bet may be Google search for a Dezl and Trucking forums for advice.

• Thanks for your reply and thoughts BTLAAKE.

I'll address some of your points in a bit.

I think the issue is this:

My Device offers these profiles

Dezl Available profiles

Including the default CAR

In BC we have these profile options (Ignore the bottom two, they are custom entries):

Thus no BUS profile to choose from.

Now, if I create a custom profile I can only create it based off of existing profiles:

Again, no BUS option.

Trucking and Driving profiles DO correlate to my device, but have restrictions when creating routes for buses i.e. routing via BusWays.

To address some of your points:

I am a Bus Driver in Australia. I'm not sure how it is in other countries but for buses, other than the usual Bus Lanes, we have dedicated BusWays for authorized buses only and another thing we have, all be it limited, is Contra Flow Lanes (which is a dedicated Bus Lane that runs against the directional flow of traffic.)

BC does NOT allow the use of BusWays with the Trucking Profile.

I will take another look at the avoidance settings between the two, but am sure I've got them the same.

I'm not sure that advice from other forums will solve this. I feel this is something Garmin need to resolve if they are offering a BUS PROFILE on the device, which I can't imagine to be a too difficult task.

For further clarification when I create a custom profile within a route:

There is already a BUS option, which allows me to at least plot routes along BusWays in BC, but this does not correlate with the BUS Profile on the device. This BUS option should, in my opinion, be available in the main option profiles and if selected be usable with my device.

Being a Bus Driver the reason I bought the device was due to the specs and reviews indicating the option to select BUS as a profile.

Furthermore, is this the right place to request these additions or is it better to do that via another means?

Thanks again.

• To answer your last question, you should contact Garmin Support.  The big issue is that support of BaseCamp has essentially ended  However, they have made minor bug fixes.  These forums are user driven and there is no guarantee that Garmin in monitoring all of the forums on a regular basis.

It's hard to give good suggestions without owning a particular device and map.  But the goal here is to make route creation easier than doing it all on the device.

The first thing I would try is to save a route on your device using the Bus profile and just a starting point and ending destination.  Attach the device to your computer, open BaseCamp and select the Route under Devices Internal memory.  DO NOT send it to BaseCamp.  Try to edit the route and when done, remove your device and see if it you can access on your device.

I will be unavailable for the next few days.

• Thanks for the suggestion. No, it's not editable in BC while on the device. Also, I noted that the BUS profiled route displays as Driving (Car) in BC.

Furthermore, with the Bus created route on the device I tried to edit it to access the BusWays, which are indicated on the map. Selecting them on the device is indicated as a non valid selection. Go figure? Can't have a bus going on a BusWay? I think that's an over-site from Garmin. Would also help to edit routes on the device if you good zoom in a bit more.

Oh well, not going to cry over spilled milk, but it is rather disappointing.

I think we can leave it at that. Thanks again for your input.