This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot get purchased Garmin map onto Basecamp

I don't have a device yet, though I am planning to getting the 64st.  I bought a 24 K map and would like to download it to Basecamp on my computer so I can start planning and exploring the map, to later be connected to the device when I get it.  However, I can't seem to find a way to download the map and then import it into Basecamp.  The email I got upon purchasing tells me I must use the Express app and it doesn't do anything until I connect a device.  Is there a way to get the purchased map into Basecamp prior to receiving my device?  Thank you.

• What format is the map in?  I suspect it's on a SD card?  It cannot be downloaded to BaseCamp.  What BaseCamp can do is read the card, or indeed any other removable drive, eg another card, memory stick or a virtual drive, that you copy the files to.

• Hello.  I purchased the map download, not the SD card.  And I saw directions  online about how to import the map file into basecamp.  However, the directions I got from Garmin indicate I must have the device connected in order to download the map.  Of course I realize I would need the device connected to put the map onto the device, but I don't know why I can't put the map into Basecamp by itself.  There is no way to straight download the file, and therefore I don't know the format of it.  Did this make sense?

• A downloaded map is locked to the device you download it for so until you have a device you won't be able to download it. You also can't install it on your PC for BaseCamp, you will either need to view it from your device or copy the map file from your device to a removable drive as I posted above.

• Okay, that seems kinda dumb but I get it.  Thank you for the info!  

• t may be dumb to you but it's clearly stated on the Garmin website, under Download requirements, maybe you didn't read them?

Download Requirements

Use with 1 Device Only

This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device. If you want to use this same map on subsequent devices, you must purchase a new map for each device.

Data downloaded to a microSD/SD card is associated with the device you select during the download process. Please purchase additional quantities for additional devices. Reduced price map updates are not available for download purchases. If you want to update the maps, you must purchase a new download that includes the latest map data.

Product Compatibility

Make sure your device is compatible with this product before purchasing. Downloadable products are non-refundable.

Once the map product is installed/downloaded onto the unit, it can only be used on a computer when using BaseCampTm

• I get it, Garmin needs more money!  I only wanted it for one device, I just wanted to do some planning before I got the device.

• Not sure how you draw that inference. You've selected a map that clearly states it's locked to a device and when it says you can use it when it's download to your device. Just because you'd like it different doesn't make it so.

• Nor did I say that my wanting it "made it so."  That's why I posted, to find out what was so from some Garmin expert like you.  I can still have an opinion as well.  It's nice of you to help people.  Again, thanks for the help.

• Glad to have helped, I'm closing this thread as you have your answer.