This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp route will not turn right onto A66 top of A5091 but goes left for a mile then loops back

looking at google maps street view it is fine to turn right. but basecamp will not do this. no matter how many waypoints i put in. I'm guessing It just " thinks" its a dual carriageway

it wants to go straight on across the A66 (and even when across the other side of the road you could turn around or do a right.) Google street view even has a car frozen turning right like i want to do in the middle of the A66.

is there a way i can force basecamp to do what i want to do?

or do i have to stop the route at the junction then start a new one 20 yards further on?

my memory will not allow for remembering to ignore a straight on instead of a turn left as i found out on a 300 mile trip to wales on B roads last year and did a few of these unneccessary loops.

thanks

alan

• I ran into this last summer while routing and driving through Montana.  There was a town that Basecamp would just not route through.  I was using an RV profile so I assume BC was programmed with some sort of restriction there.  I switched the profile to a car and it routed just fine,

• Seems like a map error there, try reporting it to Garmin, but that won't help your immediate problem.

Surely though just remember there is an issue as you join the A66?  You'll see the route heading off to the right on the screen, just ignore the left turn part and turn right?

Edit:  Got it to do it by placing a via point just past the point where the car is in street view, takes a bit of fiddling but it's possible.  Grid is NY 38878 27213

• I tried Aljaxon's route with the A66 using Mapsource and 2009 maps and it does just the same, putting in an unnecessary loop.  Over the years I have experienced these odd "loops" in routing instructions, since I had a "Quest" and never worked out why. Now using a Nuvi 2529, with latest maps, and still get the odd loop.  Not worried me as I tend to use a road atlas for trunk routes, looking at road signs and lane markings, and really only use a GPS to find a road in a built up area.  I use Mapsource and Basecamp to plan the route I want, then upload it to the Quest or 2529.

Having experience with Loran, Decca Navigator, and the NNSS system, I treat these devices are "Navaids", with an emphasis on the letters "AID", and are only as good as the software !

• Still does it with current map but as I posted a carefully placed viapoint does solve it Slight smile

• thanks for that, ill give it a go. as for remembering to turn right when i reach the A66 i suppose i could have done that but my trip to wales last year i did a few of these loops as there were far too many turns to remember. this route will have turns every 4 or 5 miles on mainly B and unclassified roads.

plus as my memory fails as i get older (im 58 now) i am hoping basecamp will help me, as i approach senility, to remember to turn onto motorways the wrong way like you hear old folk doing.

right i sussed it. if you use the right click and "move waypoint"  you can keep adjusting it until it does what you want then the next waypoint is logically followed.

thanks for the pointers sussamb.

• No worries, glad you resolved it.