Nuvi 1450 maps?

Hello I am trying to upload a route from Basecamp to nuvi 1450. I noticed in basecamp when I zoom in the actual road is not on the map even though the route (in magenta color) follows the path of the road that was originally on in google maps. Once I upload it to 1450 and open up the map it does not follow the same route I programmed into the route. I can only assume it does this as the actual road the route was originally on in google maps does not exist on Nuvi 1450's map.  SO is there another map I can download for the 1450 that will have more detail as far as little dirt roads as my route is mostly on side roads or dirt roads?  *I have my 1450 navigation setup for off-road but it makes no difference I have tried the other settings also......

*If not do I need to buy a Zumo motorcycle GPs to get more detailed maps?????

Thanks I need to figure this out as I have a big trip planned.....

Brandon

• You can load OSM maps to your nuvi, no idea though whether they would cover the dirt tracks you are using.  Zumo uses the same Garmin map so switching to it wouldn't help.

• Hello thanks for quick response! Actually they are roads, just dirt roads some are paved. I am wondering if an update would have this road on it as it is on google maps if I zoom in it is actually a paved road but on the garmin it does not show the road. It is called (Sinsinawa Road) in Wisconsin right on the Wisconsin and Illinois border in the south west corner. Can you tell me if this road is on the updated map for Garmin maps? Thanks!!!!!

• Hello Sussamb upon further inspection and zooming into the Garmin map it does have Sinsinawa road and all the other roads on my planned route. I am wondering if there is some way to share my route file with you to see why it does not follow the same route I have in base camp on the 1450 itself? the stats of the route are it is:

620 miles long

3384 via points

Is there any other data I can give you to help decipher why the route changes? I do not have an extra storage card just the internal memory if that matters on the 1450?  Thanks!

• Length of the route is your issue, a nuvi is limited to 50 points in a route, so am amazed you're trying to load a route with 3384.

• Incidentally this discussion should be in the BaseCamp forum, I'll move it there after your next reply.

• Well learning something new everyday thanks! Next question,

-what is the difference between a (via-point) vs a (point) for example after clicking create route i get both but with different number counts. 

-Can a point also be called other terms like: Waypoint or Shaping point in Basecamp? I am trying to figure out what points means in basecamp?

Thanks still need to figure this out !!!

• There's little point in you understanding the difference as your nuvi doesn't accept shaping points, so any such points will be turned into viapoints by your nuvi. On more current devices viapoints are points in a route that must be visited or you'll be directed back to them until you either reach them or change the route. Shaping points can be more easily bypassed.

• Thanks for the quick reply. I guess what I need to know is: what is the difference In Basecamp between a (via-point) vs a (point) for example after clicking create a route i get both but with different number counts listed up above in the details info section. I understand via-points in basecamp for the most part but not (points)?

Thanks!

• Points in BaseCamp should either be shown as Alert on arrival or Do not alert on arrival, the latter ones are shaping points. You can check which by viewing the route properties list and edit them by right clicking them.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you get a point?  How is that being created?  Where do you see it mentioned?

In any case the simplest way to create a route is to create two waypoints, your start and finish ones. They let BC automatically create the route. Now rubber band the route until it goes the way you want it to.

• I think I see what you mean. In the route properties box at the top it lists points and viapoints, is that what you're referring to?  If so viapoints refer to all the points you can see on the route. Points are the ones created by BaseCamp that you can't see and are in the gpx file of the route.  

Having said that if you create a route using the Direct activity the number of both will be the same.