Basecamp to Drivesmart recalculates and changes the Route when loading.

When you Design a route with shaping points in Base camp and download it to a device the automatic recalculation changes the route, often eliminating the shaping points.

• I have found the possible solution-All the shaping points in Basecamp should be coded to "alert".  Setting the shaping points to "Do not Alert" May hide them from the recalculation.  If they are coded to Alert they will also show up when you call up the route at any point as selectable for the next destination.

• Sorry but that simply isn't the case.  I often use shaping points, only using 'alert' or viapoints for places I must stop at (eg lunch or fuel stop) and the route is generally unaltered.  What can make a difference is different settings in BaseCamp and your device when it comes to routing and avoidances, and also a different map.

• I created a route and made all the shaping points "do not alert"(no1).  I then copied/renamed and changed the shaping points to "alert"(no2).  They do behave differently.  When you are partially on the route and call it up, you get a select next destination screen.  On no1 the shaping points are not listed.  On no2 they are listed.  On no1 when you choose the next destination and it has shaping points between where you are and that point, it ignores them.  On no2 you can actually see and choose the next shaping point, thus keeping the route intact.  I have run several tests.  There is no question that this is the case.  Of course if you start clean and never turn it off or restart in the middle of a leg it will work as you say.  I travel cross country with 10,000 miles split over many days.  Run the experiment.

• Yes they're listed differently but it doesn't change the route itself, just how your device reacts if you miss a point, whether it's a shaping point (in which case you can bypass it easily) or a via point (when you can't).

• Tried it again last night. same result.  On no1, even if I have not left the start point, when you call up the route, it shows the correct route.  When you press go and choose the end point as the next destination, it ignores the do not alert points and shows the most direct route.  I reported the issue direct to Garmin and then found the "no2" workaround.  I believe it is a software bug.  BTW all maps and avoidences are in sync.  Also putting the same routes in my old NUVI does not have this issue because on them you could call up the map and go without recaluating the route.

• If you chose the end point of course it will ignore shaping points. That's how it's designed to work. If you want choices along the route insert some viapoints.  It really is very simple .

• Thanks for that input Bill.  @SUSSAMB Simply stating that it doesn't happen for you does not negate the fact that a pre-planned route, once imported by another user is recalculated (often resulting in the course not matching what the user intended).  We could likely all go into every forum comment and state that "IT WORKS FOR ME!" but that's not the point.  So to that end, unless you are being helpful.

I've used Shaping Points with Alerts ON and OFF, some without any points whatsoever, others with ONLY shaping points.  Unfortunately same results.  My unit is a ZUMO595 with updated software, maps, and the like.

Here is a route that was created using BC 4.7 as shown before I hit GO.

Planned Route

Here is the altered course after I hit GO.

Completely re-routes without notification

Here's the saddest fact of all...  It used to work just fine until the latest (or last couple) of updates changed it.

I don't think this is a function of BC 4.7 but of the unit's interpretation of the map.  

• Some more photos with examples of the issue as presented.

Planned route as displayed on the unit (with and without shaping points)...

Planned route displayed on the unit

Here is what the unit recalculated the route to be...

• Thank you.  That is what I have been saying from the start.

• Sorry but you seem to be confusing terminology here. Shaping points don't alert, you can't set them to alert, or at least you can but they are then viapoints.  Getting back to these screenshots it would be more helpful to see what you're seeing in trip planner on the unit and what you're doing before you hit Go. The issues you're having point more towards errors there rather than BaseCamp, and could indeed be explained by an issue with the software.