Need Assistance with Birdseye Satellite Imagery

Former Member
Former Member

In my line of work, I'm constantly using Google Earth on my cell phone.  The problem with that is there are locations where I don't have cell service.  I recently purchased a FR945 and thought using Birdseye Satellite Imagery would solve my problem.  I decided to preview Birdseye with Basecamp before purchasing a subscription when I ran into the following issue.  It doesn't matter what area I select to preview, but I always see an image like the one on the left (it becomes distorted when I zoom in) when I expect an image like the one on the right.  I've tried this on two laptops with the same results.  Am I doing something wrong here?  I don't want to spend $30 on Birdseye if the left image is what I'll see on my watch.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• I have used UK Ordnance Survey maps through Birdseye on my 945. Excellent when running across some random field in that gives much more detail of paths and other features than the standard maps. 

For me Basecamp was just used to select the area for download but did not get the "end product" which I guess is not surprising as you are paying for something that is not always free - even via a website.

945 is of course a small screen and it is like a phone screen but the colour maps I get provide good clarity at 200 & 300 feet zoom levels.

Only "snag" is not enough memory to run these and the standard ones so when using Birdseye maps I turn everything else off.

Suggest try it as think should work fine - you just don't get the "real" preview.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to timgrose

So, when you use Basecamp to select your area for Birdseye download, it looks like the image I posted on the left and it looks like the image on the right when that area is downloaded to your watch?  I've watched online videos, and while in Basecamp it's showing a satellite image like the one on the right.  It's your thought that these "previews" are from paid subscriptions?  That's my concern.  I don't get that clear satellite image when in Basecamp and I'm afraid if I purchase a subscription, I'll download an image that looks like the one on the left which is completely useless.  It also shows on Basecamp that I can use Birdseye without a subscription, but I won't be able to download to a device.  This leads me to believe I should be able to view the image like the one on the right.

• The one on the left is BirdsEye Select (which is a map) and on the right BirdsEye (which is a satellite view).  Sounds to me therefore you're viewing the wrong one, you want BirdsEye and not BirdsEye Select

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to SUSSAMB

I'm using Basecamp for Windows 4.7.0.  When I open Basecamp, I'm selecting the BirdsEye tab and then selecting "download birdseye imagery".  This brings up a box where I select my device.  I don't have a subscription, but if I select "continue" it will download the selected area and it only shows what you're referring to as BirdsEye Select.  How do I get to the satellite view?   Is there a setting that I've missed, or will the satellite view only display in Basecamp with a paid subscription?

Update:  So, I see where the confusion lies.  I see BirdsEye Select is for Great Britain.  I'm trying to use BirdsEye for the Pacific Northwest in the US.  The pictures I posted was from an internet search because I can't figure out how to take a picture of my computer screen.  Anyway, all I get is the same type of image as the one I posted.  I know it's a terrible picture, but this is a screen shot of my computer and what I get when I select an area using BirdsEye.

• I can't try it but this may be another bug in 4.7, because of the issues with it I didn't update.  I suggest you try reverting to 4.6.2 then try again

.  I've just done it using 4.6.2 and get a drop down box allowing me to select numerous options, I've done a trial download and get full satellite imagery.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to SUSSAMB

I'll give that a try. I'm new to maps on my device and Basecamp, so 4.7 is all I'm familiar with.