Search in BaseCamp shows some categories not available

When I try to search for locations in the category of food or restaurants, it no longer appears as an option. Most other points of interest in the "Find" or "Search" menu such as hospitals, fuel, attractions, etc. do still appear. I recall a couple of months ago, when planning a trip, I did a search for those categories and it provided a list of restaurants in the map area. but no more. Any suggestions?

I just updated to the Garmin US maps, ver. 2015.20 yesterday and I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Using BC 4.3.5, Win 7Pro.
  • 'Food and drink' still shows in my Search options, using CN EU 2015.20, so guess it could be they've been removed from your map. Can you search for them on your GPS?
  • Well, the food category shows up in the POI's on the GPS, but not as an option in Basecamp. Both are accessing US 2015.20 as indicated before. Wierd...but I guess that's Basecamp for ya.
  • ssuamb,

I tried another approach. I still have CN North America NT 2014.1 maps available on BC. I selected that map version and it showed more POI's. Aside from "All Points of Interest" as a category in the drop-down for "Find Points of Interest", map version 2014.1 yielded 16 categories. Map version 2015.20 yielded only 11. Somehow Garmin (Here Maps) or Basecamp decided to pare down the options.

Since the same maps are used on the GPS and BC, and the "Food" POI's are present on the GPS but not on BC, then I must assume that BC is at fault.

That's a pretty bad thing to do, particularly if you are planning to EAT somewhere on your travels. It only seems to get worse with Garmin and BC. I have yet to see any positive improvements for the average user.
  • I'm not seeing that with CN EU 2015.20, so perhaps it's a map issue. I can't see why/how Basecamp would read some POIs and not others, but seems like it does at least with the CN NA map, hopefully JM47048 may be able to shed some light on that.

Could be I guess that some chains are prepared to pay to have their POIs included for use on a GPS but not to be available via Basecamp?
  • Try deleting the cache. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\ProductDataCache. Close Basecamp, delete the directory, start Basecamp, give it a few minutes to rebuild the cache.
  • Check post #13 in this thread: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?33898-BaseCamp-4-1-0-is-available
    I had a very similar issue some time ago with missing POI categories and Falagar had me delete/clear the ProductDataCache. Once I did that all the categories were back after restarting BC.
    If I remember correctly I just renamed the folder and BC recreated it on the next start.
  • Kenny and Dave....

Fantastic!!!!:) You guys hit the nail on the head!! I renamed the cache directory (just to be on the safe side...per Dave), launched BC and all the POI categories were present. Thanks ever so much for your input. WAHOO!!!!
  • Try deleting the cache. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\ProductDataCache. Close Basecamp, delete the directory, start Basecamp, give it a few minutes to rebuild the cache.

Had the same problem. The proposed solution works perfect. Thank you very mutch:D

I was having trouble with missing items in the find menu. Tried this and everything OK - Thanks.
    BTW the resolution from Garmin was to go into the registry and start deleting and changing things. Much too scary so left it and just used the search tool in the top corner. This solution much easier and far less scary!!

Steve P