This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp 4.7.0 only sees maps on connected device, not installed on PC

Installed latest Garmin Express on PC (Win10), for use with my DriveSmart 60. It installed Basecamp 4.6, which updated to 4.7 after launch. I also installed the latest North American Map NT 2019.20 to the computer (the device already had been previously updated to contain that latest map). The expectation of course is that I can use Basecamp "standalone" whenever I want, to reference the installed map (on the PC) even when the GPS unit is not connected. That's the whole point of installing the map to the computer as well as to the device.

Everything went successfully and all software and maps are installed.

But it turns out Basecamp 4.7 does not seem to be aware of the map installed on the PC (and which DOES show up in Control Panel list of "installed programs"). If you don't have the GPS unit connected via USB cable the only map shown in Basecamp is the standard generic "Global map", with no real detail. Only if you do connect the GPS unit to the PC with the USB cable will Basecamp now read the map stored on the device and show its name under MAPS on the menu bar.

This is clearly wrong. There is absolutely no point in installing the map on the computer if it cannot be used. Otherwise, if it's only the map on the device which is usable by Basecamp then I would never choose to also install the map to the PC.

This has to be a defect.
  • I am thinking that the reason for these problems is to do with a Windows 10 update, but I've no idea which or how to correct it.

I run Win10 and are having no problems. If the above doesn't resolve your issue please start a new thread. Thanks

• I think the problem here is a bit more complicated and nothing to do with Windows 10 updates. It is also nothing to do with previously installing the maps on C:, which is what Express specifically warns against.

I have an old Windows 7 system that took some iterations before I could get my Nuvi maps accessible on a non-C partition.  However, I did succeed some years ago and it was working until recently, but now I check again after the 4.7.0 "upgrade" they are no longer visible.

I just started on a clean win-10 system. All my non-licensed maps installed on G: drive and worked as expected. I then used Express to install two maps and neither appeared  in Basecamp.

What is evident is that Express thought it knew what it was doing to install for Basecamp. For each map it created a shortcut as a shell .lnk file with a target as the correct folder on my G: drive. I simply removed these and made an NTFS junction so that ProgramData\Maps pointed to G:\Garmin\Maps and Basecamp was happy.

Use of a shell link file does not really work very well when the target is a folder, but all I can think is that, somehow, the way old versions of basecamp worked was that they parsed the file and found the target.  Maybe recent version(s) of Basecamp changed the library used to find files and it no longer works that same way.  Just guessing, but it did work and now doesn't.

• same here as well, on 2 different devices....Garmin-Windows problem.

• Works perfectly on both my windows systems, one win10 the other win7, so it's not as simple as saying it's a Garmin-Windows problem.

• Just had the same issue with Basecamp 4.7.1, but it is actually caused by Garmin Express. When installing in an alternative location, Express will create a short cut to that location in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps. I found that the shortcut was invalid. So deleted that, made a new shortcut and it works. No need to reinstall or anything.

Quite silly Express is having this issue for so long. Should be  a dead simple fix.

Cheers.

• Brilliant - such a quick and simple fix.  Many thanks!

• (3) Run Garmin Express, select Map Options to then get the Map Options window that allows you to install/reinstall the map to your device

I know this is an old thread but there are no 'Map Options' option to select in the current version of Garmin Express.

• Please start a new thread in the Express forum explaining your issue as Map Options do exist.