Forcing Basecamp to follow a specific route

I have been working on a retracement of a historic auto route for the past few months. It is almost 1000 miles long and it is important that it follow the original route.

After giving up trying to force the route (it would constantly change based on the routing profile) I created a track in Google Earth. I used Earth because I needed to see some streetview data and information like covered bridges.

Once I created 4 tracks by locating numbered route instructions (waypoints) I traced between them with quite a few shaping points (Google Earth points).

Once I was fairly happy with the tracks I imported them into Basecamp along with the waypoints.

I then created routes from the tracks, but still had to adjust a number of places, sometimes the route would double back because the waypoint was slightly off the road.

I also reviewed the route directions and made sure all the waypoints were in the correct order. I rubber banded the routes where it ran in the wrong direction.

I had the Routing set to automobile and had U turns, ferries and carpool lanes as avoids. (I had it on fastest route, no option to have none on that setting).

I am confused that the route does not stay on roads, as I thought it would. This makes review of all the shaping and many many waypoints difficult. The route instructions do not say "leave road".

Once I get the route exactly where I want it how can I "lock it" so it does not change.

I did recreate tracks from those routes as they never change, but they do not allow me to run routing directions.

This is very frustrating, once I think I have a good portion of the route good I save it, so I broke the overall route into 5 sections, or legs.

Once I have the route correct I am going to upload into my 2600 series unit so we can do a reconnaissance and drive the route to make corrections or notes for when we have the group run it latter this year.

Any help would be appreciated.

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1291306.png
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    General Suggestion:
    1) Set route calc preference to SHORTEST
    2) Insert numerous Shape Points to force route in desired direction
    3) Customize the FIVE road category Speed Settings as desired to get rough Time and Distance Direction sheets per rally rules

Note: User must reset the Road Category Speeds back to Default (or in same relative speed ratios) to create route by FASTEST Speed.
    Note: Spreadsheet will still be required for precision time calculations although Basecamp routing algorithm may give fairly accurate leg Distances.
    Note: I did not try this at home with Basecamp. :rolleyes:
  • So; a few comments to the responses I have gotten. Not necessarily in the order answered. The routing back is not because of points on a dual carriageway (obviously a European term) They are on on secondary undivided roads.

Yes apologies, dual carriageway is a UK term, it refers to a divided highway, but if as you say the roads are dirt roads it cant be that, however as I posted above it works perfectly correctly using the latest BaseCamp version and latest maps. So something is wrong somewhere with your system, could be the map you're using, the BaseCamp version or the BaseCamp settings. As a first simple step you might just try upgrading BaseCamp.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    It seems to me that Roverguy's original issues were likely a result of changing the default road category speeds of Residential and/or Major Connector vectors while calculatimg route by "Fastest" algorithm (with insufficient shape points)..

• Yes apologies, dual carriageway is a UK term, it refers to a divided highway, but if as you say the roads are dirt roads it cant be that,....

He said "secondary, undivided". Those, in the US, are paved. These are normal roads that are not motorways.