How can I create course points on basecamp?

How can I add course point on a track using basecamp?
  • Just use the insert tool as for a route. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?
  • Basecamp does not support "course points". (Garmin Connect doesn't either.)

======================

"Course points" are an optional feature of tcx files.

They are sort of waypoints tied to the track.

On the Edge units (I don't think other units support them), a pop-up displays the course point (typically, an icon showing direction and a short text label) when you reach its coordinates. They are usually used for turn instructions on units that don't have maps (like the Edge 500).
  • Did he really mean those sort of points though? Often folks don't use terminology correctly.
  • How can I add course point on a track using basecamp?

Like depawlyk said....neither BaseCamp nor Connect support Course Points as defined by depawlyk.
    However the old Garmin Training Center does a great job of converting Tracks into Courses and then letting you insert Course Points wherever you want with nifty little icons for turns, lunch, etc that work great on my Oldtimer Edge 705....:cool:
  • Did he really mean those sort of points though? Often folks don't use terminology correctly.

"Course points" is a rather specific phrase. It's not likely folks would know about it unless they were using it correctly.

It's not clear you knew about the term (what you said wasn't talking about it).

It seemed useful from both perspectives to describe what the term meant. (Especially, since I said Basecamp didn't support them.)
  • However the old Garmin Training Center does a great job of converting Tracks into Courses and then letting you insert Course Points wherever you want with nifty little icons for turns, lunch, etc that work great on my Oldtimer Edge 705....:cool:

Ridewithgps supports them. So does bikeroutetoaster.
  • You can add course points (or waypoinst, I don't know if there is any difference between them)  from the Garmin Connect web. Notice that in addition to your points, garmin adds more waypoints with turn directions.

I do not understand why exporting a track in tcx format does not generate waypoints. On the other hand, if I export in gpx format, they are generated (but the Edge doesn't read them as a waypoint)

We have to use third-party tools to generate courses with waypoints. it is quite annoying not being able to use garmin tools to design a path