This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp has been discontinued

Garmin told me Basecamp is discontinued.
  • Addendum to my post -- After playing with the Explore software and eventually figuring out how to import an existing gpx file, it appears that it doesn't have nearly the functionality of Basecamp (or at least I can't find it).  If that is the case, is there any compelling reason, or something I'm overlooking, that would motivate someone to give up on using Basecamp?  I don't necessarily want to cling to outdated software, but it still seems to me to be the best thing in the Garmin toolkit for core GPS work.

• BaseCamp hasn't been discontinued.

It's still being supported but in a just-enough way. But don't expect any enhancements. Garmin released an update to BaseCamp a few months ago.

You are free to keep using BaseCamp. For as long as it runs.

(I suspect there are no plans to make Explore an "exact" replacement for BaseCamp.)

• Thanks for the response.  Just so I'm clear -- there's nothing else out there in the Garmin ecosystem (besides Explore) that is a more complete replacement for Basecamp, is there?

• No. BaseCamp appears fairly unique.

BaseCamp will be useful for many years.

It might be helpful to understand what features you are looking for,

There are things that do some of what BaseCamp does. You can use various websites to create routes.

• I think that most of what I do is pretty standard stuff, but I couldn't figure out how to do it in Explore, which seemed like where Garmin wanted everyone to migrate to. 

Mostly what I do is things like create tracks or routes by clicking through the intended path, convert between tracks/routes, view elevation profile, sometimes splice saved tracks together from multi-day hikes, edit out unwanted points from saved tracks (like when I forget to stop and save tracking), etc.  Nothing really advanced or sophisticated, but Basecamp does it all well, I know how to use it, and I have many years of tracks, waypoints ad other data saved and stored in Basecamp and I think it would be a pain to migrate it all to some other software.  Fortunately, it sounds like I don't need to!

I'll just plan on sticking with Basecamp for now!  Thanks, again.

• Bear in mind BaseCamp's predecessor, MapSource, is still available so I can't see BaseCamp being withdrawn any time soon. Even if it is your BaseCamp is a standalone program that will continue to work, I still use MapSource occasionally. Note though there is no more BaseCamp development, that stopped and the BaseCamp team was disbanded years ago. What you will see occasionally is a new version, just to correct the odd compatibility issue with certain devices. The last major change was to bring it in line with GDPR issues.

www8.garmin.com/.../download_details.jsp

• So does anyone know what to use instead of Basecamp that works well with a Sumo XT2 and an iMac.

• This is an old thread in the Windows forum. Please post in the mac forum with a fuller explanation of what you're trying to do, or ask in the appropriate device forum.