This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp has been discontinued

Garmin told me Basecamp is discontinued.
  • Updates are discontinued, although a recent one to comply with GDPR was released.  BaseCamp is still available for download, as indeed is its predecessor MapSource 

• "Discontinued" might not be the right word.

It's not being actively updated. I suspect there aren't that many active users and many people are using phones (and not computers).

So, what it is now, is what it will be in the future.

The work done (a few years ago) for GDPR compliance was mostly removing features (which isn't hard to do).

• This behavior of Garmin shows exactly how its rewarding well paying customers. It leaves us with a bad customer experience. I have a 66i it has BirdsEye Select with it. You can download satellite maps directly from the device via Wi-Fi, but when you go on a reasonable trip you need the PC to manage these maps. The BASECAMP is the place to manage these maps. Which is also a bad user experience since tiles are limited to 232 MB. All pretty much a shame for a premium device like the Garmin 66i should be. There is a lot of frustration using Garmin products the last years. My GPSMAP62st bricked itself. The GPSMAP66i damaged my whole trip preparation while syncing with the phone app Explore during a Desert trip in Oman where no PC or Internet is around. Had to rely on Gaia GPS APP as backup. The GPSMAP 66i damages its own created GPX file such Basemap can't recognize the device, and blocks downloading the BirdsEye Select Maps. Really wasting my time. And I am a customer for a long time. (Etrex Legend, Etrex Vista, GPSMAP60sc, GPSMAP62ST, GPSMAP66i, Smartdrive 61LMT-D, Forerunner 945). This news on top of the other trouble makes me very disappointed in this brand.

• An update to Basecamp 4.7.5 is available for download. 

• Yep, but not really an update

BaseCamp software version 4.7.5

as of March 27, 2023

Download (61.93 MB)

View installation instructions

Notes:

• System Requirements:
      Windows 7 SP1 or later is required. Machines with earlier operating systems can use BaseCamp 4.2.5.
    • .NET framework 4.6 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
    • 1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
    • A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
    • If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
    • BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
    • BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.

Change History

Changes made from version 4.7.4 to 4.7.5:

• Various stability and bug fixes
  • Not a update but an indication that it hasn't quite been discontinued.

(But no one should expect any sort of significant changes to it.)

• Garmin said they would make changes if necessary, this has been done to allow it to work with  some newer devices. No change to functionality.

• I have used Mapsource in the past and still have the last version 
    I now use Basecamp from the start. Everyone seemed to have a problem with it, but I liked it from the very start. I did not realize it was still being updated, which I appreciate. I travel fulltime and keep all of the places I have been, want to go to and friends all over the US. I travel with a 5th wheel trailer and diesel pickup. I saw just yesterday that Basecamp indicated there was an update when I last launched the app. Wasn't sure what was going on so I came here and found out for sure. SUSSAMB, thank you for being around all this time. You have been a great help.

• I Installed 4.7.5 and compare the Birds-Eye tile limit. While the release notes that popped-up where stating: "various stability updates and bug fixes" Not telling what was changed. I see that the tile limit has been increase to something like 310 MB. Compared with the 232 MB of the previous version of BaseCamp still a joke.

Garmin: please increase the Birds-Eye select tile limit to >3 GB to get practical. Now it cost the users many many manual actions (Many tiles to download by hand) to cover a small country like Oman. Probably the server capacity to download it is also very limited, since it takes kind of forever 0.6Mbps (my download capacity=70Mbps). Notes here on the forum pointed or blame the ISP that is decreasing the speed, but putting different VPN connections to different countries didn't make any difference. So to me it points to the server of Garmin that is limited. Also something to look in for the Garmin crew ;-) All in all pretty simple thinks to increase the Garmin GPSMAP 66i user experience and usability, which is crap now. 

• Could someone tell me what Garmin software/app replaces Basecamp?  I've been using it for years with my GPSMAP 62 and GPSMAP 66st and like it just fine.  I recently picked up an InReach Mini2 for its sat communication functionality and I've installed Garmin Explore on my iPhone and paired it with the InReach.  However, I'm unclear if I can also use the computer version of Explore for all of the old Basecamp tasks (i.e., creating/editing/saving tracks, import/export gpx files, organizing gps data, and so on).

Thanks for your help!