Basecamp crashing

I have basecamp 4.6.2 installed on my machine and everytime i load it it crashed immediately. I cant do any work in the program and this is really making me mad. I had windows 7 on the machine and it crashed, so i updated to windows 10 and it still crashes. Any help getting this to work would be much appreciated. Its not my database, since i can load my database onto another computer and it loads fine and works fine.

Computer specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
System Type x64-based PC
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Display Card Intel(R) HD Graphics
Display RAM (2,017,460,224) bytes

Thanks
Jacob
  • OK, the problem isn't caused by the OS. Have you completely removed Base Camp? That is, not just uninstall it, but deleted the folder from C:/ProgramFiles(x86) and from C:/ProgramData. And, after that's done, used a tool such as CCleaner (freeware version works here) to remove all the entries from the registry. At this point, all of Base Camp is gone as if it never existed. The same applies to routes and waypoints - back them up. That done, reinstall Base Camp from a new download. Even if the file already exists, overwrite it. We're talking scorched earth here.

Install the fresh download. Do not add anything to it! If it crashes on open, it's not BC. You have other problems. If it doesn't crash, exercise it by drawing a few routes and waypoints. If BC is still running, it's not BC.

What's "database" you're talking about? Is this a database file or set of files, or is this something exported from BC? If it's the former, the problem may well be in the database. If it's an export from BC, are the versions of BC the same? Crossing version boundaries shouldn't matter, but you never know...
  • My "database" is a bunch of GPX files that i had on a work computer and i have on a mac laptop. I no longer have the work computer so i wanted to use my home desktop with big monitors to use basecamp, so right now it is a backup file that I'm loading.

Working on scorched earth right now.
  • Basecamp still crashes at startup, with a clean copy installed.
  • Did you nuke the old install completely. It's possible there's an old file or registry key that's causing problems.

When BC crashes, what messages, if any, show up?

I have BC on a Win 10 machine that was a Win 7 machine before that. No problems to speak of..

The GPX files shouldn't, per se, cause a problem. I assume you don't get to the point of installing them, though.

Have you tried loading them into Windows' mapper?
  • Must say this sounds to me like a system issue rather than BaseCamp, as I run mine on a Win10 and Win7 system with no issues. If a completely fresh install as described above gets you no where I'd check that your system is fully up to date.

Does it also meet the requirements

•IBM-compatible computer running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or later
    •Microsoft® .NET framework 4.6; a current version of .NET will be installed if needed
    •A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later to view 3-D terrain

Likely culprit is the .NET framework.
  • Good point about system issues. I opted for the installation route to be certain BC is in as it should be.

I agree that .NET could be the problem. The OP was able to install Win 10, which means the machine specs are certainly enough to run BC. But...

If this is a heritage update, it's quite possible the upgrade dragged along damage from Win 7. Remember, this is where the problem began.

Annoying as it will be, it may be the best answer is to scrape C:/ clean and do a clean Win 10 install instead of an update. That said, be very, very, very careful not to install the Anniversary edition of Win 10. MS put in a security package which will refuse to install unsigned drivers. Period. Don't even ask. There appears to be no good way to by-pass this. There is a way to do it for any one session, but it has to be redone every time the machine boots up. There is a BIOS hack which may fix it, but may also break Win 10. I tried it with a new laptop, got "can't start Windows 10" from Win 10, and had to reinstall Win 10. The program that triggered this is the AoMei Backupper package. Not Good >:(
  • I, too, have Basecamp 4.6.2 running on Windows 10. It has run perfectly until today. Today, it crashes within minutes of opening. The only thing different I can remember recently is that my Garmin Express loaded a software update today. Can't imagine that would be the problem, though.

My computer specs:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.60 GHz
    Ram 16.0 GB
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    x64-based processor
    Display adapters:
    AMD Radeon R5 M335
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
    Both monitors plugged in to Dell D3100 Dock