Issue with elevation graph on routes

Hi folks

Hoping you can help with an issue I'm having. I'm a first time poster on here, but a long time lurker.

I've been using BaseCamp for a couple of years now and thought I'd got used to all it's foibles but I've just found a new one! I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I was using BaseCamp to edit some routes created on the Ordnance Survey site last night when I noticed the graph page was blank and showing an error message "The current map does not contain any elevation data on the selected route(s)". I clicked through some of the other routes in my library and found that none of them now include an elevation graph. This is despite the fact that all the via and shaping points in the routes are showing elevations on the Properties tab and the route as a whole shows min, max and average elevations in the summary.

Strangely all the tracks in my library do contain a graph and if I convert any of the above routes to a track, they have an elevation graph too.

I'm using Garmin GB Discoverer 50k which I believe contains all the DEM data needed to display a graph and the routes I'm talking about are a mix of Direct routes used for walking/hiking and on road routes used for cycling.

My version of BaseCamp is bang up to date and the laptop is running Windows 10 Home.

I hope that's enough information! All help gratefully received :)
  • Using the OS mapping all my routes show elevation data so no idea why yours isn't working. Have you tried switching off your PC, and then back on, to see if that resolves it?
  • Is it possible that you were experimenting with Activity Profiles with a map that does not have DEM data? If a change is made to a profile and saved, BaseCamp will recalculate all Routes using that profile. In your case, making a change to the activity profile while having a map with DEM data selected should restore the elevation data for all routes. You can than change the profile back to the original - note: this is not an undo.

While the shaping points contain elevation data, the calculated path between the shaping points will lack elevation data if the map does not have a DEM. This will cause the elevation profile to give the warning you observed.
  • Thanks for your help both

BTLAAKE - That's an interesting thought. I generally don't mess with the profiles now I have them set up the way I like though. On your advice I changed the profile type on a couple of routes, whilst using the OS map, but it didn't make any difference. I guess this would also tie in with the fact that I have walking routes, road cycling routes and MTB routes in my lists and they're all affected in the same way.

I always use the OS maps and never any other map type when working with Basecamp.

SUSSAMB - I've also tried restarting the laptop to see if that made any difference but I'm afraid that didn't make any difference.

Do you think there's any way that I could have somehow switched off the DEM data in the map for routes only?
  • Do you think there's any way that I could have somehow switched off the DEM data in the map for routes only?

I doubt it. Do you have any other maps installed? If so see if any of them give you elevation data. As well as OS mapping I have a number of OSM maps. Some show an elevation graph, others don't.
  • I've been experimenting with creating routes and tracks using another OS Map (Peak District 1:25) and it seems that whichever profile is set, routes created don't include elevation graphs but tracks always do.

Very strange.

I'm going to try putting some of these routes into basecamp on a friend's PC to see what happens.
  • Be careful if creating routes (unless you do so using the direct profile) as the OS map itself isn't routeable. It uses the underlying CN map that doesn't contain elevation data. That could be your issue.
  • Be careful if creating routes (unless you do so using the direct profile) as the OS map itself isn't routeable. It uses the underlying CN map that doesn't contain elevation data. That could be your issue.

If so, that might also result in the graph error as the path joining the shaping points would lack elevation data.

I believe that there is a way to assign map DEM elevation data to a Track - does anyone know if it can be done to a Route?

edit:
    Never mind, I just checked and in the older version of BaseCamp; it does not work. Also, when I take a Route and view the Graph tab with a CN map I see no graph. When I switch to a Garmin map with DEM the elevation profile appears. I'm not sure why a third party map would not behave the same.
  • Thanks both. Apologies for the slow response. I spent a few days away walking in the Peak District.

Luckily one of the friends I went with has an eTrex and BaseCamp on his laptop. I have now tried viewing the routes created on my friend's version of Basecamp, using my Garmin OS map on SD card, in his laptop. All worked perfectly and the routes displayed as they used to, complete with graphs.

I'm now thinking it's time to uninstall the BaseCamp app and reinstall it to see whether that fixes the issue. My other thought was whether this could be a Windows 10 issue.

SUSSAMB - some of my routes were road routes for cycling using the "Tour Cycling" profile and they did show graphs previously. The others were for walking/hiking so I used the "Direct" profile. Unfortunately none of them show graphs now on my laptop.

Interestingly the graphs are showing on the elevation plot of the Oregon when out in the field which makes me think this is definitely a Basecamp rather than map issue.