This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Date sorting

Please can the sorting of dates in BaseCamp be by the logical date, rather than by the text string?

This would make it much easier to find things, as it is virtually impossible currently.

Two examples, both in the left-hand pane:

1. Under Library -> My Collection -> Date received ->
01/06/2014
03/07/2015
12/09/2016
18/04/2014
26/03/2015

2. In the bottom secion
Active Log 03 Sep 2016
Active Log 04 Jan 2016
Active Log 06 Dec 2015

When these lists are long, it makes them unusable, as they are listed basically in the sequence of the day of the month!

This with the latest BaseCamp v4.6.2. with data from my 2545.
Note that I am in the UK, so Windows 10 is set to UK date format of dd/mm/yyyy.
  • I'm in Canada so I generally have the same system settings as you do. However, I use YYYY-MM-DD as my Win10 date display setting. I'm not at my Windows computer right now so I can't see if that will solve your problem in Basecamp but it can't hurt to give it a shot.

...ken...
  • I’m not sure if this will help. First off I’m sure what you want for point 1. I’m still using an older version of BaseCamp, but in mine it is the users job to name lists and folders. As mentioned above, names should be yyyy-mm-dd to sort both alphabetically and chronologically.

For the lower list, click on the tab in the middle left of the map pane. This will switch the map pane with the list content pane. Select an object type from the object icons. This filter the list to objects of a specific type. You should now see additional headers. Tracks/Waypoints will a column header listing start or creation time. Clicking on a column header sorts the list based on that particular header. A second click on the same header will reverse the order.

It would be nice if clicking on the tab would keep the filter and sort orders when switching the map and list content panes, but on my older version this does not happen - selected items will remain highlighted and can be sent to a scratch list if desired to reduce clutter. But, you can resize the panes by dragging the respective edges (cursor will change to something like <--|-->; grab the left edge of the large list content pane and drag to the right, then grab the top of the map pane and drag up).
  • I’m not sure if this will help. First off I’m sure what you want for point 1. I’m still using an older version of BaseCamp, but in mine it is the users job to name lists and folders. As mentioned above, names should be yyyy-mm-dd to sort both alphabetically and chronologically.

These are not names that I have chosen - they are as created automatically when data was received from the device. For example, I have just received data from my device ... which added 22/09/2016 after 21/04/2014 and before 23/03/2015. There are too many to rename manually.

For the lower list, click on the tab in the middle left of the map pane. This will switch the map pane with the list content pane. Select an object type from the object icons. This filter the list to objects of a specific type. You should now see additional headers. Tracks/Waypoints will a column header listing start or creation time. Clicking on a column header sorts the list based on that particular header. A second click on the same header will reverse the order.

That is better! I can now see activities in the large list, in any order I want. Does not affect the order when the small list is used, though.

It would be nice if clicking on the tab would keep the filter and sort orders when switching the map and list content panes, but on my older version this does not happen - selected items will remain highlighted and can be sent to a scratch list if desired to reduce clutter. But, you can resize the panes by dragging the respective edges (cursor will change to something like <--|-->; grab the left edge of the large list content pane and drag to the right, then grab the top of the map pane and drag up).

Yes, I had noticed that the settings were lost after any switch. (using v4.6.2)

Thanks for your help.

Martin
  • Your welcome.

One thing a forgot to mentioned. This will likely depend on what device you own, but at least for some devices saving a track on the device will default to YYYY-MM-DD 24hr Time. The date and time will that at which the track is saved - not start or finish date/time. So saving a track on the device immediately after finishing data collection may be a better than having BaseCamp pull tracks from the track log if you do not plan on changing the names.
  • One comment if working with FIT files. In this case the name of an imported track is determined by the short date format in your PC settings. In my case this defaulted to DD.MM.YYYY which was driving me creazy for years. With the setting YYYY-MM-DD all imported items are now perfectly sorted according to the date/time the activity started.