Problem AfterSending BaseCamp Custom Map to Device

Hello all,

When I create a custom route in basecamp, and then send it to my Garmin DriveSmart 60, it essentially cancels the precise routing that was created by basecamp and just uses the start and end point to recalculate the route based on the DriveSmart 60 parameters. The problem is, no mater how I toggle the DriveSmart 60 parameters, I cannot get it to recreate the exact route that was originally created in the basecamp. Now, the basecamp very easily created the best route between points A & B; however, the Garmin unit wants to send me on "out of the way" alternate routes. For the record, I can easily use Google Maps or Mpquest and they both agree with the route created by basecamp so how can I make the Garmin DriveSmart 60 behave properly? My maps and basecamp are both fully updated.

gus
  • What does the route consist of in BC? If just a start and end point there could very well be some differences but you can minimise them by ensuring you use the same map in both your device and BC, and that routing and avoidance settings match.

I've planned routes for years in BC and rarely had issues transferring them to my Garmins. Are you able to give any examples of where you're having problems, a screen shot of both would help.

Note what generally catches folks out is when they try to navigate the route via the trip planner app. You need to select the first point in the route you wish to visit, so if you have a route consisting of just a start point and an end point you must choose the start point. If you choose the end point your device will recalculate a route directly to it.
  • Hi SUSSAMB,

First off, thanks for responding. The route in question is just a simple route between two points. I had the settings the same in BaseCamp and my Garmin DriveSmart 360; however, there are a few more settings options available in BaseCamp so I can't say for sure if they were exactly the same. Anyway, here are two different versions of the simple routes (created by Mapquest) I was hoping to get from BaseCamp or Garmin but neither were able to give me the best route IMHO. And, as I stated previously, whatever I created in BaseCamp was changed by Garmin anyway. Fortunately, my wife was familiar with most of the routing so she just drove to a point on the map (marked with a red X) and then Garmin recalculated from there to the destination.

Note: The addresses used (in the examples) are fictitious but close to the real addresses I used.

Unfortunately, I don't have the BaseCamp version anymore because I uninstalled it when I discovered the exact route results didn't get sent to the Garmin device and it recalculated those results anyway. And, BTW, neither of those results yielded route choices as clean as Mapquest dod.

Cheers,

gus
  • Well creating routes in BaseCamp enables you to insert via points if the calculated route isn't the one you wanted. If you then send the route to your GPS you should find all is well. If not, and in many years of route planning in BC I've rarely experienced it, you can just add another point or points if needed.

Looking at your particular example adding a couple of via points creates the route you wish to take, and when sending it to my GPS it worked perfectly. So maybe persevere with BaseCamp since at least it enables you to create routes that go the way you want and ones that should work well with your GPS.
  • Hi again SUSSAMB,

Thanks for testing.

I did start to play around with via markers but I ran out of time because my wife had to leave. I'll play around some more as time permits.

Also, the good news is that her Garmin directions worked perfectly from the red X to the destination so she was quite happy!

Thanks a bunch for your help,

gus
  • I have found the possible solution-All the shaping points in Basecamp should be coded to "alert".  Setting the shaping points to "Do not Alert" May hide them from the recalculation.