Importing from previous alldata.gdb

Basecamp won't allow me to import alldata.gdb that was created in a previous version.

Here is the story.
I screwed up my current alldata.gdb. This is where all my lists, list folders, waypoints, routes and tracks are stored. I had a lot of stuff in there and I mistakenly deleted more than I intended to delete.
My fault, I screwed that up. My current Basecamp "My Collection" is missing a lot of good stuff.

But I do system and file backups regularly. NOT backup from within Basecamp.

I found the alldata.gdb from February which i want to access. It is in a separate folder on my desktop.
This file was created under Basecamp 4.5.

In the meantime, I upgraded Basecamp to 4.6. I didn't consider this would be a problem.

I select "import" under the file menu and select the February version of alldata.gdb.
I get an error "Unsupported version"

I need to copy, or merge (not replace) data from the February alldata.gdb into my current Basecamp "My Collection"
How do I do that?

Do I need to...can I....revert from Basecamp 4.6 to 4.5? Will this solve the problem?

Thanks!!
  • You don't "import" an earlier Alldata.gdb, you rename the screwed up Alldata.gdb to something else and put the earlier file in the same folder. Basecamp should then read the earlier file. You will lose whatever you did between February and whenever you screwed up the current Alldata. Also, every time you close BC, it makes a backup of Alldata.gdb named Alldata.gdb.bak....this is often useful if you catch it soon enough.

I don't think the version number would affect this, but some things have changed with 4.6.2. Reverting is easy, but I don't have the site handy. It was just in a recent post...shouldn't be too hard to find.
  • Thanks, Rocky!

Here's the latest.

For clarity of description, I will use:
    - gdb 4.5 is the Alldata database from February 2016, and is in the 4.5 folder. This is the database with all my history that I am trying to recover.
    - gdb 4.6 is the Alldata database from May 2016, and is in the 4.6 folder. This folder has far fewer folders, so it is easy to distinquish.

I went into the 4.6 folder. I renamed the gdb 4.6 and the gdb 4.6 bakup with a ".sav" on the end.
    I then copied gdb 4.5 from the 4.5 folder into the 4.6 folder.
    I opened Basecamp. It opened with data from gdb 4.6!!!! Where the heck did it find that? I renamed them in order to hide them!
    I then used Explore to navigate to the 4.5 folder. I right clicked on the alldata.gdb and selected "open with" and I picked Basecamp.
    I got the same error. "Unsupported version"

So it seems like I need to revert to 4.5 in order to recover my data. I will look for that thread.

If successful, here is what I am planning:
    - revert to Basecamp 4.5
    - Open gdb 4.5 (from February)
    - Export, or save, to a GPX file
    - upgrade to Basecamp 4.6
    - Open the gdb 4.6 file
    - Import from the GPX file

Thoughts??

Thanks!
  • Thanks, Sussamb! Got it.
    I assume this is the Windows version.
    Cheers,
    I then copied gdb 4.5 from the 4.5 folder into the 4.6 folder.
    I opened Basecamp. It opened with data from gdb 4.6!!!! Where the heck did it find that? ......

Thoughts??...

Boy, I don't know! The only thing I can think of is to remove all instances of gdb 4.6 and gdb.bak 4.6 from that folder, and re-copy Alldata.gdb 4.5 into it. If I were you, I would stick with BC 4.5.1 once you get everything working again...this seemed to be a fairly stable version with a minimum of glitches.
  • Update!

Partial success.
    I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall BC 4.6. It asked me to delete a TON of registry entries, which I did not, and a TON of files, which I did not. I deleted the "database" folder (after making a copy)
    I installed BC 4.52 successfully. I copied my February alldata.gdb into the 4.5 folder in the database folder.
    BC opened and read the alldata.gdb.
    HOWEVER, I lost all the list and folder structure. Everything (waypoints, routes, tracks) are all in 1 folder called "my collection" This is frustrating because the list names and folder names described the ride and held only routes and waypoints and tacks for that ride

Any suggestions? Or should I just live with it?

Cheers,
  • Find the matching FolderData.gfi and place that in your BaseCamp data folder and all should be well.
  • Sussamb, Thanks!!

Before I got your post, I had been thinking bout this and came up with a similar solution.

I went into the "current" database folder, and deleted the 4.5 folder. This had all the February data, but no list names or folder names.
    I went to my copy of the February data. I copied the entire 4.5 folder into the current location of the database folder. This has your referenced "Folderdata" It also has the aldata with the February data I want.

And it all worked!!!! When I open Basecamp, now 4.5.2 on my computer, it opens to the February data and all is sorted out as I want. YAY!!!!!!

Before I deleted everything, I did an export of my May data to a GPX file. So, I will carefully import my May data from the GPX file into my current database. There is very little here, so reorganizing, or moving into lists and list folders will be easy.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll stick to 4.5 for a while!

Cheers,
  • Glad it's working but you should find upgrading to 4.6 from 4.5 isn't an issue. I know when I upgraded everything worked automatically without any input from me apart from me pointing 4.6 at the correct folder as I use a custom folder rather that the BaseCamp default.
  • Just to be precise, I have not updated to 4.6.2 from 4.6.1 because I heard of some issues I'd rather not find out applied to my usage patterns. I still think Ver. 4.5.1 is a good one....it has been my experience over 6 years that occasionally an update turns out to be significantly worse than what it replaces. Or rather, things that had been working correctly get broken...so now I NEVER update until several months after the release and there are NO complaints of any significance. If my current version is working 98% of the time for what I want from it, I will NOT update! YMMV