MSI Error: InstallFailure with Windows 10, BaseCamp 4.5.2 (and 4.2.5)

BaseCamp was working fine today, first time I had used it since the upgrade to Windows 10. Then I tried to upgrade it. Big mistake. The existing installation announced it had to be uninstalled, so I did, but then BaseCamp_452.exe crashed with MSI Error: InstallFailure. I tried a manual install (i.e. unzipping and trying to install from the folder) and even went back to BaseCamp_425.exe. Turned off firewall and virus checker. Same Error. The most useful-looking troubleshooting page on garmin.com directs to a Microsoft fix that doesn't work in Windows 10.
I am in the US, have vanilla Windows 10.
Help please.
  • I am having the exact same problem.

Have you found any solution yet?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    There are (at least) 3 other threads asking the same question, and still no solution. It is related to Windows Media Player 11 not being installed, but only in some countries. This has been a problem for some Windows 10 users since 4.5.0 (2-1/2 months ago). Fortunately I am still using 4.4.7.

Other threads:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?323328-BaseCamp-4-5-2-Is-Now-Available/page3
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?323138-error-1114-basecamp-4-5-1-under-Windows-10&p=736015#post736015
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?317681-BaseCamp-4-5-0-Is-Now-Available&p=736005#post736005
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    I managed to solve my problem with Windows Media Player 11 files not being installed; a prerequisite for BC 4.5.1 and later. It appears to only be a problem in a few countries but Garmin weren't able to offer any advise. Try this: Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > go down the list to Media features > Windows Media Player. After ticking this box I was able to install BC 4.5.2 without any problems. Best of luck.
  • How to bypass the Windows Media Player 11 error during installation

Hi..

I received the error that Windows Media Player is not available and the installer then exited. I tried to install Mapsource - but Mapsource depends on Basecamp. I am running Windows 10 N Enterprise 64bit.

Rich at Garmin support assisted to solve this. The ticket number is :"RE: Re: Basecamp does not install on Windows 10` <Q#:1000087> << Reference ID: 9052235K1 >>"

Here it is :
    Please uninstall Basecamp then use the alternate installation steps below.

1. Press the Windows key + R. The Windows key is between the Ctrl and Alt keys. Type %temp% in the Run window then press Enter. This will open the Windows temp directory.
    2. Delete all of the file in the folder by pressing Crtl-A to highlight the contents then press the Delete key to delete them. These files can be safely deleted but if any are in use, Windows will not allow their removal.
    3. Uninstall Basecamp if a version is currently installed.
    4. Delete the Basecamp folder.
    For 64 bit Windows, it’s in C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp
    For 32 bit Windows, it’s in C:\Program Files\Garmin\BaseCamp
    1. Download Basecamp and when given the option, save the file
    Basecamp
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

1. Run the Basecamp installer and click “yes” when you are prompted by the installer to make changes to the device. (The Windows Media Player Error will appear -just leave it)
    2. Go back to the Temp directory and open the folder 7zSxxxx.tmp, were xxxx is a random alpha/numeric string.
    3. Double click the file BCMAIN.msi. The installer should start now
    4. When the installation is finished, close the Basecamp installer wizard.

(I also tried this : created a Windows7 VM with Hyper-V...the problem is that one cannot (AFAIK) get a USB port to work with a VM in Hyper-V. So I also converted the VM disk (VHDX) to (VHD) and tried to open it with Oracle Virtual box. Windows never booted. So then I tried to create a Windows 7 VM in Oracle Virtual box. That also failed).

My opinion: Garmin has good hardware but their PC software has detoriated so much over the years that I will NEVER buy a garmin again. Basecamp is overly complicated. I always have to spend hours just to get the thing to install. Most people I know (here in Africa) use Mapsource. Some poeple go so far as to keep a Windows Vista installation so that it can work with Mapsource. I am not interested in IT when I plan a hiking trips. All what I do is : I get maps (like Tracks4Africa - and then I want to plan my own route and upload it to the GPS. That is it. No auto routing. or adventure planning. I need the GPS to find caves in the dark and to know which gully i need to go up with so that I dont walk myself into troube. But Garmin seems to have missed the plot. THe fact that things like installation failures are discussed repeatedly in a public forum tells me that
  • Hi Abraham,

For future reference, you can use a similar trick to install Mapsource if you don't already have some other Garmin software installed. If you have 7-zip installed so it shows up in the File Explorer context menu, you can right-click on the Mapsource.exe installer file, and select 7-Zip > Open Archive (the Mapsource.exe installer is an archive).

This is where my memory gets a bit hazy. Inside the archive you'll see a "Setup.exe" file and an "MSMain.msi" file. I think it's the setup.exe file that does the initial check to see if there are other Garmin products already installed, so you want to execute the MSMain.msi installer to install Mapsource.

I apologize because it's been awhile since I had to do it. But executing one or the other of those two files will get it done. Executing the wrong one first won't harm anything.

...ken...