This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp to Garmin 62s - transferring maps issues

Former Member
Former Member
I'm new to GPS and new to this Forum, so please be patient with my lack of expertise and terminology. :)

I am trying to load 'Tracks4Australia' onto my new Garmin 62s. I can see the map on Basecamp (so I have managed to get it there), and am using Garmin MapInstall to get the map from Basecamp to the 62s. Is this correct?

I turn the GPS on, connect the USB cable to the computer (MAC desktop) and follow the prompts on Garmin MapInstall to upload the maps to the device. MapInstall tells me it's all going through, but when I get to the end of the process I get this message:

"There was a problem while installing maps on your device. Ensure that the device is plugged in and turned on, and try again".

I have double checked connections, tried different USB ports around the computer, and used different connection cables. I am not having any luck getting these maps onto the 62s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you in advance.
  • I can see the map on Basecamp (so I have managed to get it there), and am using Garmin MapInstall to get the map from Basecamp to the 62s. Is this correct?

Yes.

I am not having any luck getting these maps onto the 62s.

Not sure why it's not working. Now I use MapSource to transfer maps (not BaseCamp/MapInstall) so I'd try downloading it and giving that a try.

MapSource map transfer tutorial
  • MapSource won't work on Mac OS.

Don't know why MapInstall isn't working.
    Is your 62s detected by BaseCamp, does it show up as a device in the right hand panel? Does it appear as a drive on your desktop?
    How big a map are you trying to load? You could try a smaller area to start with.

Or you could try loading the maps onto a MicroSD card in a USB card reader.
  • Mapsource won't work on a Mac.

Yep. I failed to notice that this thread was in the Mac area.

I concur with CRAIG_WALLACE's suggestion that you try sending the map to a card in a card reader (not your 62S).

FYI some 3rd party maps such as Tracks4Australia (I looked at it some years ago) don't work as expected in some models. Sometimes playing with the map display options (e.g. setting "Map Detail" to "Highest" does the trick. Sometimes not.)

PS: When I last looked at Tracks4Australia it had very little detail. At that time I wrote it off as next to useless.
  • I have the same trouble with Tracks 4 Africa, Botswana. Rang Garmin support in NZ (Aus) and they were helpful but lost interest when it was a' third party' map. However not even other Garmin maps can be uploaded. 

"There was a problem while installing maps on your device.  Ensure that the device is plugged in and turned on, and try again"

Drive Smart 55

Mac OS 10.15.3

MBP  and a  Desktop.

• Looking at their website and the fact you list a DS 55 rather than a handheld GPS have you downloaded the correct map?  This thread is about a handheld 62 and is over 6 years old.  In any case I suggest you contact Tracks 4 Africa, as it's their map.

If you're having an issue with Garmin maps please start a new thread with full details.