Cloud Storage

The new cloud storage option appears to be extremely easy to use. It looks like you Sign In to My Garmin from BC menu and enable it under the Transfer menu. I am using DropBox for syncing and it has worked flawless through many updates. I am not ready to switch to cloud storage but if I use DropBox, I can tell how or if cloud storage is syncing or what it is doing.

1. Does cloud storage provide backup? Using Dropbox to sync files between multiple computers, your files are backed up on those computers as well, plus stored online. If that isn't enough, Dropbox also keeps backups of all of your deleted and changed files too.

2. How does cloud storage work if your computer is off line?

Thanks
  • 1. I do not recommend using cloud storage as backup for your files. Its main intended purpose is to sync things to BaseCamp Mobile and other computers running BaseCamp, and in turn with devices like the Fenix that can download from there. Versioning like in Dropbox is not a feature of our cloud storage, it doesn't support folders/lists like My Collection, not all data types are supported, and the total amount of space available is pretty scarce.

2. If your computer is offline and you add data to its cloud storage folder it will sync the next time it connects to the cloud service.

There is currently a bug where you may generate duplicate data by syncing between Windows and Mac BaseCamp; I recommend waiting until that's fixed before trying to sync your cloud storage to both Windows and Mac BaseCamp.
  • DropBox meets my needs totally. Syncing plus backup.