This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to load img map into basecamp

Hi,

I just downloaded several img maps for my new eTrex 30 but would like to see these maps in Basecamp as well. How do I do this?
  • If this image is a Garmin Custom Map just import from the file menu.
  • If the maps were downloaded from Garmin, you can plug your device in and BaseCamp will read them from it.
  • It depends on which maps we're talking about, and where you downloaded them from...

But generally speaking, single (large) img files are meant to be put and used on the device. You can use them with BaseCamp, but that means that your eTrex has to be connected to your computer in order to use the maps. Also, it might be necessary to make them visible to BaseCamp; this can be done with http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

When you've got a bunch of smaller img files (and a few other; at least a *.tdb file) they are meant for BaseCamp/MapSource, but it needs an installer to get this map available to BC. Usually this installer is included in the download.
  • For anyone that stumbles across this thread, Garmin DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU WANT and they DON'T CARE if you don't have your eTrex to idiotically verify you own the damn thing for the millionth time!

BaseCamp is WORTHLESS without a way to install a map but they are FAR TOO PARANOID so you CAN'T LOAD MAPS without your device being present as people were PREVIOUSLY able to do when Garmin had the BRAINS to know people use BaseCamp to plan trips and might NOT always have their device available. Those days are LONG past!

So, if Garmin wants to be stupid about this, you should probably just use Google Maps or possibly Google Earth. You will be much happier.

• Well that's rubbish, I update maps on my PC for BaseCamp to use and you don't need your device plugged in, if that's what you're suggesting.

• It's NOT rubbish! I bought the latest City Navigator for North America and it can no longer be installed on BaseCamp! Previously, it could be! BaseCamp is USELESS without a MAP!

• I installed it without a problem.  Where/how did you get the map?  If you provide some detail rather than simply moaning you might get some help Slight smile

Please note too you don't need to shout.

• I already called Garmin because THEY produce City Navigator and THEY said it cannot be downloaded to BaseCamp any longer because it NOW only comes as a 2GB IMG file. THEY no longer provide the download with an installer. It can ONLY be put on a device with enough space on a MicroSD. What do you mean you installed it without a problem?  Do you have the 2020 version of City Navigator??

• Please stop using capitals as it's considered shouting and rude.

Thanks for providing a bit more detail, I can now see what you're trying to do. Just follow the information in this link to create a virtual drive, create a folder named Garmin and copy the .img file to that. BaseCamp will read it without the need to have your device plugged in. You could do the same with either a memory stick or sd card if you prefer.

www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

• I already knew that. It's essentially no different than attaching the device storage. That's not what I meant at all.

I am talking about being able to install or copy the map to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp\Maps" folder on the computer. That is where my LAST version of City Navigator resided but now Garmin, in their infinite wisdom, says you can't do this any longer!

It is ridiculous that customers should have to resort to virtual drives or SD cards just to make BaseCamp function the way it once did when people with brains ran Garmin!

It is further ridiculous that Garmin doesn't consider that Google Maps or Earth (which are updated more often than CN) are an easier alternative to their convoluted copy protection schemes that serves only to drive customers away!

THAT is my whole point!