This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ejecting a GPS from the Mac is horrible

I can't help it, but every time I have to eject a Garmin GPS from one of my Mac's, it take a long time, fails often if I eject with BaseCamp and I get irritated ;)

Even an Eject from the finder takes a long time. Now i sometimes just pull the cable, because every eject costs me 20-30 second.

I do switch often, most of the time for testing import's, routes, tracks.
It happens with the Edge800, Zumo660, Dakota20.

Please look into it to improve this in BaseCamp for Mac.
  • Interesting, mine unmount quickly but often remount before I can pull the USB cable out - as annoying as your wait time I expect.

My zumo660 and Montana behave in the same way. microSD Cards in the Garmin GPS's have the same symptoms so I think it is the Garmin USB drivers.

microSD Cards not in the Garmin GPS's mount and unmount properly.
  • The Montana has another problem :) the fast reconnect problem. I have send a bug report to the Beta e-mail address supported with a little video.

My zumo660 is not to bad, as long as I remove the microSD card from the zumo660 when busy with important operations like map updates.

Something I do notice that my GPSMAP 62st is in spanner mode and BaseCamp already give an error when connecting the 62st.
    Map from the 62st is usable, and disconnecting is a drag. My Montana is now also in Spanner mode and not in the default Garmin Serial which takes the GPS immediately into USB-modus. (System settings)
  • Glad to seem I'm not the only one with the quick remount issue. I just eject and try to time it right pulling the cable.
  • My nuvi 760 behaves pretty much the way I'd like, though like all Garmin USB devices, a little slow to un-mount.

My zumo 660 behaves as described by "the other Dan," including trying to remount, though it gives me a second or two to unplug without having to panic [g].

I tend to doubt this has much to do with BaseCamp as this behavior and related issues, such as requiring use of Disk Utility to un-mount (a past bug), are not new. Put another way, behavior in the Finder is already faulty, even without BC running.

-dan
  • All 4 Gramin devices I current use behave a little different but my Nuvi 1490 reboots if you eject from BaseCamp and reboots if you eject the mounted volume from the desktop. It remounts if you don't disconnect the usb cable.
  • guess I should have added that my Zumo 550 works great. It shuts down when I unmount. Either by selecting eject in Basecamp or by selecting the zumo drive and sd card in the finder and ejecting.
  • I have just been powering mine down.
  • I find my 700i crashes finder and you have to relaunch it.  Terrible expereince :-(

• I find that both my Oregon and Montana crash finder when you try and eject them.  Terrible expereince

• This is a 12 year old post. If you have a BaseCamp issue please start a new thread explaining in more detail your issue. If the problem is Finder and not related to BaseCamp please try a more appropriate forum