iPad work around?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 to be my motorcycle trip device. Has anyone found an effective way to use base camp data with it? I want to be able to create routes on the road and upload them into my Zumo. Thanks
  • Folks who travel long distances, both off-highway and on, often use a Laptop to do route planning while traveling because often the best at-home pre-planning is just an "outline" of what actually ends up in the Trip (Track) Log of your GPS when the journey is over.

For me it's not just about getting GPX files onto the iPad or using the iPad as a GPS. It's about being able to do route planning "in-the-field" as it were using an iPad and BaseCamp instead of having to carry a laptop.

I've done considerable route planning using another Nav app (with a stylus) on my iPad and it easily produces GPX files. The problem is, you can't get those files into your Garmin GPS. You would need to offload the GPX file to an SD Card or directly connect your Garmin GPS to the iPad and neither of those are options today.

When you consider the recreational communities that BaseCamp is (will be) addressing, there are a large number of potential users out there in the iPad market. There are over 30 Million iPads in consumer hands today and the number is growing rapidly. Even if 1/10th of 1% were to use "iBaseCamp" that is not an insignificant number of customers Garmin would be supporting.
  • For now, I think the best work around is A MacBook Air.
  • My current choice of weapons as well. ;)
  • If I could get 1GB of 3G data from Verizon for $20 per month - none contract I would agree.