iPad work around?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 to be my motorcycle trip device. Has anyone found an effective way to use base camp data with it? I want to be able to create routes on the road and upload them into my Zumo. Thanks
  • http://www.apple.com/ipad/accessories/

About half way down the page.

iPad Camera Connection Kit

Shoot. Connect. Enjoy. The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, as well as SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4. So you can get photos and videos off your camera and onto your iPad — moments after you take them.

Hook your Camera kit up to your iPad and try it.....

And it does not support bluetooth file transfer...

http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/what-bluetooth-profiles-does-ipad-support

And why would they care? Because they want to sell you a MacBook in one of it's incarnations so you can use BaseCamp.

See the second post in this Thread.......

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8322
  • You stated, "Apple only allows certain file types to be transferred.
    And gpx is NOT among those.
    That is the problem."

To back this statement up you you link to the iPad camera kit, are you saying because the iPad camera kit does not transfer a GPX file, GPX files are not allowed by Apple? I don't get the connection.

The second link:
    "What Bluetooth profiles does the iPad support?
    Five Bluetooth profiles are supported in iPhone OS 3.0:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.5)
    Personal Area Network Profile (PAN)
    Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)"

I would think the Personal Area Network (Pan) will support any type of file you want to send and probable several other Profiles support file transfer. Check out the iPad Bluetooth FileShare App at the itunes store.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

File transfer is a separate bluetooth profile, and is not listed as one that is supported by the current iPads.

I do agree it should be supported, but sadly it is just not supported so Garmin has no choice if they want to follow what's supported by Apple.
  • Trails only imports files from a url.
    So you have to be able to post your file on the web first in order to get it into your iPad.
  • Check out the iPad Bluetooth FileShare App at the itunes store.

Notes:
    Bluetooth Filesharing is restricted to other iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads.

Requires access to Wifi to upload files from a computer to the device.

1st Generation devices are not supported.

That App seems pretty limited too.

For more concise explanation read this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8322
    It's all explained there.
  • I read the thread, azbithead said currently (5/6/2010) no official documentation as to data transfer iPad between other devices. From the rest of the thread, it is obvious they were talking about using the iPad camera connection. When it come to the iPad Camera Connection, Apple says it is do not supported by Apple, but it does not say they were disallowing third parties to use the port. It fact they suggested contacting the manufacture. You said Apple was blocking file transfer and if Garmin figured out a way, Apple would change the rule. There is no rule against file transfer I can find and I was suggesting Bluetooth not the Camera connector.

I don't think Apple is not blocking Garmin from sending bluetooth files to their gps from the ipad with any rules. In fact, they would probable assist as it would sell more iPads. It is almost a year from azbithead's post and bluetooth is a different protocol. I am not sure it would be wise for Garmin to develop an iPad BaseCamp, it depends on development cost vs increased sales of Garmin GPS devices but if Garmin decides to do so, I would bet they have the know how and and Apple would approve the app on iTunes.
  • Essentially Apple is blocking file transfer via bluetooth.

they are blocking it by NOT implementing bluetooth file tranfer profile.

You cannot transfer files from an Apple made computer via bluetooth to an iPad/Phone/Pod. Because that is not implemented within the i devices.

Technically it is not a rule against that, but since it is not implemented there is no rule that supports it. A protocol is merely a set of standard rules for accomplishing a task or goal.

Is there any app in the app store that supports file transfer via blutooth to any device other than other idevices? I don't know, I don't own any Apple idevices. IMO they are all too limited and will not do the things I'd like to be able to do with them.

An iPad has a very attractive form factor, but I'd want it to be able to replace my Laptop completely. The limited implementation of several things prevents it from doing that. So while there are no rules against doing certain tasks there are no rules that support certain tasks.

Why does Apple choose to not implement certain things like file transfer via bluetooth from any paired device? Who knows?

Just like why did Garmin not implement Stereo bluetooth in some of their early bluetooth devices, even though the chipset they used was capable? Who knows.

Marketing??? Lack of expertise in the software development department??
    Excessive power requirements??

I believe you'll never get an honest answer from the manufacturer.

It is what it is, maybe iPad 2 or 3 will bring support for some things that folks would like? We just need to wait and see.

There only a few Garmin devices that support file transfer via bluetooth. And those do not support connections with non Garmin devices for file transfer either.
  • Essentially Apple is blocking file transfer via bluetooth.

they are blocking it by NOT implementing bluetooth file tranfer profile.

Yes Apple is not supporting bluetooth file transfer but it probable has more to do with speed than anything else. Bluetooth has enough speed to marginally support AT&T Edge and I bet you remember what file transfer was like with dialup.

You cannot transfer files from an Apple made computer via bluetooth to an iPad/Phone/Pod. Because that is not implemented within the i devices.

Technically it is not a rule against that, but since it is not implemented there is no rule that supports it. A protocol is merely a set of standard rules for accomplishing a task or goal.

Is there any app in the app store that supports file transfer via blutooth to any device other than other idevices? I don't know, I don't own any Apple idevices. IMO they are all too limited and will not do the things I'd like to be able to do with them.
    I don't know either but TuneLink Auto from New Potato Technologies, plugs directly into your cigarette lighter and provides a Bluetooth audio link between your iOS 4.0 or higher iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and then transmits it to your radio via the FM station of your choosing. The device is controlled by a free app. I would think sending a few waypoints or even tracks would be as easy as streaming audio to the car stereo.

An iPad has a very attractive form factor, but I'd want it to be able to replace my Laptop completely. The limited implementation of several things prevents it from doing that. So while there are no rules against doing certain tasks there are no rules that support certain tasks.

I still carry my MBP most every where I go but to be honest the iPad get all the use. The iPad is great for email & surfing, I have a IMac at home and work and the iPad would serve me well for travel except for basecamp. Even if I had BaseCamp for iPad I would still keep the MBP and might even upgrade, why, I don't know.

Why does Apple choose to not implement certain things like file transfer via bluetooth from any paired device? Who knows?

Probable because people would complain about slow file transfer

Just like why did Garmin not implement Stereo bluetooth in some of their early bluetooth devices, even though the chipset they used was capable? Who knows.

Marketing??? Lack of expertise in the software development department??
    Excessive power requirements??

I don't know what Stereo bluetooth is but google does, probable because Stereo adds nothing to a waypoint, track or route.

I believe you'll never get an honest answer from the manufacturer.

It is what it is, maybe iPad 2 or 3 will bring support for some things that folks would like? We just need to wait and see.

iPad sold 15,000,000 in 2010, a few people must have liked the the first iPad

There only a few Garmin devices that support file transfer via bluetooth. And those do not support connections with non Garmin devices for file transfer either.

This is why it might be a good move for garmin. It might give users an incentive to upgrade and iPads owners an incentive to by a garmin GPS. Garmin developed app that allowed me to convert maps that plainly said Windows only when purchased. I can't think of another company that allows switching from windows to mac without a charge. Garmin does not owe me anything and I don't expect them to develop an app that does not help their bottom line. I'm still convinced, garmin can develop an iPad BaseCamp app and use bluetooth to transfer waypoints, tracks, and routes. I have no ideal what it would cost and even if I did know the cost, I would not know if the juice be worth the squeeze for garmin.
  • I see no technical issues related to the development of BC for iPad based on the iOS SDK restrictions. There are no restrictions on file types used by apps. Garmin would only need to prove to Apple that BC could only read/write GPX and "Map" Data to a Garmin GPS device (or the devices installed SDCard): i.e, read the UID before BC would allow data transfer. Since BC does this today, not an issue for BC.
    I don't see any issues with "in-app-purchasing" either. Garmin could easily use BC iOS to access Birdseye Subscriptions as well as Map purchases for download assuming BC iOS supported onboard map installation.

I personally want BC for iOS and I think there is a large number of Adventure Traveler's that would also want the app. I think it should be free for the same reason BC and Mapsource are free today. That is, I buy GPS units and I buy Map products
    that I install only to these applications and devices.

I believe Garmin is making another [Garmin Phone] big business error in not fully supporting the iOS market.
  • While it would be nice to transfer GPX files from my GPS to my iPad, or from BaseCamp on my computer to my iPad, I wouldn't gain much benefit of having BaseCamp actually running on the iPad. Other than track transfer, I don't see what I would actually do with BaseCamp on the iPad that I can't already do.

There are pretty cheap navigation apps for the iPad that use excellent (and free) USGS topo maps and the iPad's builtin GPS, so nothing more is needed to navigate or to browse maps. (I just spent a week on backcountry roads navigating with my 3G iPad, and it worked great.) These apps do record tracks, too, but I've found my Garmin GPS does a much better job of track recording, and of course when I'm hiking I'm carrying my Garmin, not my iPad. So all I would really like is the ability to transfer those tracks from my Garmin onto the USGS topos displayed by the iPad app (using the mass storage option of the Garmin to access recorded tracks). That way I can view all my tracks in one place while on the road.

BaseCamp is a management tool, not a tracking tool, and I don't expect to do a lot of management on the road, so I don't see what it could offer for navigation in the field. For me, BaseCamp is an extremely valuable tool to archive my trips and to manage them on my laptop or desktop, but I don't do this on the road.

I do create routes (for hiking, mostly) in BaseCamp and download them to the GPS, I but I also haven't had much need to do this on the road, so having that ability only on my Mac is fine for me.