iPad work around?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad2 to be my motorcycle trip device. Has anyone found an effective way to use base camp data with it? I want to be able to create routes on the road and upload them into my Zumo. Thanks
  • BaseCamp requires a desktop OS like Mac OS X or Windows. The next best thing to an iPad if you want something small and lightweight would be an 11" MacBook Air but it will cost considerably more ($999.00 USD). Then again it will do a lot more as well.
  • Garmin has two apps for the iPhone/iPad, Garmin Tracker and Garmin Street Pilot. Apple paid 2 billions to developers using the app store so it is probable a smart move. Personally I want BaseCamp for iPad for the same reason stated above. Planning and use with a Garmin GPS. There are currently 4915 apps labeled Navigation but I don't see anything replacing a GPS on the windshields and BaseCamp for iPad should be an easy build if Garmin is developing in Coco.
  • I think there may be some technical problems with trying to deliver BaseCamp for iPad so it can be used with Garmin's GPS devices.

Since BaseCamp is essentially a planning tool, trying to use it with a GPSr would required plugging the unit into the iPad to transfer data. Not necessarily maps but routes and waypoints. This is where the problems would arise.

The way Garmin's devices seem to work is when they are plugged in to a host computer they receive power from the host. The Apple dock connector may not supply the power that Garmin's GPS units may be expecting. Whether the Garmin devices will still function with only their own battery power for such functions is not known.

The other problem may involve whether iOS allows access to the file system on Garmin's devices. If not then Garmin would have to speak to Apple about whether they would be willing to make the necessary changes to iOS to allow this access.

Garmin would also need to supply/sell a dock connector cable with mini USB on the other end. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned, easily done.

Another way to send the data may be accomplished by using Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. Again, there may be technical hurdles to overcome with this method whether using the USB adapter or the SD Card adapter. Garmin would have to see if they could access their devices file systems using one if these adapters. Seeing as cameras like Garmin's GPS devices both use the FAT file system it may be possible to do this.
  • The iPad has limited ability to transfer (receive or send) files.
    Those abilities are limited by Apple's choice.
    Until Apple removes those limitations there is no way.
  • It does appear that Apple has chosen this strategy for the iPad. My 13" MB with a SSD will continue to be my road device. If the iPad ever changes then I will look at it.
  • And, don't forget the 30% Apple tax on subscriptions for items bought within the App store. No real way around that since if an App allows the purchase of items outside the App it must also allow the purchase within the App at the same price.
  • The iPad has limited ability to transfer (receive or send) files.
    Those abilities are limited by Apple's choice.
    Until Apple removes those limitations there is no way.

I don't think this is the case. I have been very impressed with the Garmin development team once they started developing for Mac. I can connect a guitar or a camera to my iPad. I think it can be done and Apple would approve. The question is why would garmin want to spend money to develop a free iPad app and what would it cost Garmin. If the Garmin fells an iPad BaseCamp app would sell enough GPS's to make the development cost effective we will get the app.

30% of free apps is not a cost to garmin. The blogs are full of apps being downloaded to androids that steal your information, I think Apple Limitations are there to keep the average user safe from rogue applications. The above average user can probable protect his devices and for this group there is jailbreak.The hackers are claim iOS 4.3 has been jailbroken and iOS 4.3 has not been released.

Among the many convenient features of the Apple iPad, the ability to pair the iPad to any Bluetooth device is very convenient. If garmin used bluetooth to connect, you would not have to have a cable and deal with plugging in unplugging the usb cable. I have used Bluetooth on the Oregon and Dakota to transfer geocaching information between the two devices. I am not sure if my Nuvi has bluetooth, if it doen't and there was an iPad BaseCamp app, I would be upgrading.
  • Apple only allows certain file types to be transferred.

And gpx is NOT among those.

That is the problem.

Sure Garmin could maybe hack something together that might work.
    But then Apple would only change the rules again and Garmin's work would be all for naught.

When and if Apple changes their implementation then something might happen.
  • Why would Apple Care if Garmin wanted to send GPX data to a garmin device? Why would they allows Trails and block Garmin?

Intuitive GPX mapping for the iPhone
    Trails is the first GPS iPhone app that allows you to record, import and export tracks onto your iPhone. Trails was featured as an iTunes Staff Favorites!

Can you give a link to the apple rule that only allows certain files to be transferred and excludes GPX?