This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Moving data / backing up

I have BaseCamp and my Topo 24K map installed on both my iMac and my MacBook. How do I move my BaseCamp data (tracks, routes, waypoints and lists) from one computer to the other, so that they are synchronized?

Asking the same question in a different way: How do I back up my BaseCamp data?

I have tried copying all the Library/Application Support and Preferences data that I can find, but the destination computer sticks to the (mostly empty) data set that it had before the copy.

I also tried exporting "My Collection", but BaseCamp fails to do that (with an unhelpful error message.)
  • Go to your home Directory ~/library/Application Support/Garmin/BaseCamp
    Copy the DataBase folder. I keep the garmin folder under places on the finder side bar to make it easier to find. I am not aware of an easy way to sync your desktop and Macbook. My MacBook is the master (I make all changes I want to keep on the Macbook) and if I want the same waypoints, tracks and routes, I replace the Database folder on the desktop with MacBook Database folder.

I used to keep multiple BaseCamp Databases. I make a folder in the Garmin for each database I want and give it with a descriptive name. If you drag you current Database folder (Be sure and quit BaseCamp) BaseCamp will create a new empty Data Folder when launched. I don't seem to have a need for multiple databases not but it explains the syncing and backup. BaseCamp uses the data it finds in the Database folder. If BaseCamp does not find data it creates an empty database.
  • Thanks, that worked for copying from one account on my iMac to another. It didn't work on the laptop, probably because it is running an older version of BaseCamp.

• Yes, BaseCamp 3.x has a 3.0 folder inside the database folder with a new data structure. In is not backward compatible but the price is right for an upgrade.
  • Now I have a new problem: I copied the Database folder into another account and then did a bunch of uploading and editing. When I reopened BaseCamp two days later, all my new stuff was gone. I did this work on Monday and there was no sign of anything changed after Sunday - I lost all that work.

And I think I just answered my own question! When I moved the Database file to a new account, it was still owned by the other account. I did remember to change the permissions on the Database folder to allow reading and writing, but I think I forgot to choose "Apply to enclosed items".
    Just to be sure, I am going to try making a change in BaseCamp and see if this is lost, also...Sure enough, it lost the new change. Then I changed permissions and another new change was saved.

Apparently, BaseCamo does not know enough about the OSX operating system (or doesn't care) to warn you when it can't save your data. I do wish Garmin would break down and hire a couple of software engineers. Their electronics is great; the software not so much.

BTW someone to fix this website would be nice too. For about the fifth time I lost a posting (this one) because, even though it it shows me as logged in at the top of the page, when I clicked "submit reply" it cam back saying I was not logged in, and after I logged in, the post had disappeared. This time I remembered to copy the whole post and save it in another application, so I won't have to type the whole thing a third time.

Here goes, again...
  • In addition, be sure and quit BaseCamp before Switching data folders. I don't think switching data folders is a supported feature of BaseCamp. I have been very impressed with the Mac Developers at Garmin.

When Garmin announced support for mac, my fear was a port of MapSource. MapSource is a powerful legacy application with a steep learning curve and in need of a modern user interface and support for geocaching and web integration. I was aware Garmin had a large user base and a major change of MapSource would be like MicroSoft's Vista. Garmin's solution was to continue Mapsource for the hard core users and develop BaseCamp for the new massive iPod, geocaching, social networking, generation. When you consider all the different models of GPSs all with different firmware and features, the support given mac is remarkable. Garmin supported moving maps I bought clearly labeled windows OS. For my needs (I understand need vary greatly) nothing on any platform and any price comes close to BaseCamp.