This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calculating distance of waypoints along a track

I have a number of tracks with waypoints that I recorded on the gps at various distances along each one. Is there a way where I can easily display the distance of each waypoint along the track? I'd like to generate something like:

waypoint 1: 3.21 miles
waypoint 2: 5.64 miles
waypoint 3: 7.92 miles, etc.

Right now I've just been finding a point on the track nearest to the waypoint and using that, but this is tedious and it only gives me the distance to the nearest 10th of a mile: precision to the nearest hundredth would be welcome.

Regards,

Dan
  • I would recommend using the measure tool. You can use it to trace your track (or alternatively, just click on each waypoint for easier use). This will tell you the distance between each point.
  • Thanks for your response, but perhaps I was not specific enough the first time: I have a track of about 2000 points. Then I have 6 or 7 waypoints that lie along that track. I'd like to be able to quickly know how far along the track those waypoints are. So, if I was to trace the track using the measurement tool, that would take a very long time to do accurately.
  • I don't know of a better way than by doing either what you are doing now or by using the measurement tool.
  • Measurement Tool Question...Garmin Road Trip

On my PC I had a measurement tool...but I just downloaded the garmin software to my Mac and there isn't a measurement tool...where can I find it? :confused::
  • Thanks for your response, but perhaps I was not specific enough the first time: I have a track of about 2000 points. Then I have 6 or 7 waypoints that lie along that track. I'd like to be able to quickly know how far along the track those waypoints are. So, if I was to trace the track using the measurement tool, that would take a very long time to do accurately.

Why don't you split the track at the waypoints. That way you will have 6 or 7 tracks that gives you the exact distance. You can export the original before you split and import it back into BaseCamp if you want to keep the entire track.
  • On my PC I had a measurement tool...but I just downloaded the garmin software to my Mac and there isn't a measurement tool...where can I find it? :confused::

I am running basecamp 2.1.1 and in my tool bar at the top I have a ruler icon and the text below it says Measure Tool.
  • Why don't you split the track at the waypoints. That way you will have 6 or 7 tracks that gives you the exact distance. You can export the original before you split and import it back into BaseCamp if you want to keep the entire track.

If you want to create an extra copy of your track, or anything else, select it and then go to Edit->Duplicate (cmd+shift+D). Reimporting data isn't a guaranteed way of making a duplicate. We don't add new data on import if the imported data is recognized as a duplicate of something already in BaseCamp.
  • Hi Danhickstein. I found a method to do what you are requesting.I'm not that tech savvy, but I play around with apps. I found TCX converter when I was playing with a GIS software called QGIS

I downloaded a free app called TCX converter. In that app I clicked on "OPEN FILE" and opened the gpx file containing my data.

On the right is a menu and I chose "Save CSV File". When I clicked on "Save", it asked me to choose between ";" (semi-colon)-separated or "," (comma)-separated data.

I opened the saved file in a spreadsheet program such as excel. The distance column actually gives the cumulative distance along the gpx track.

It was then easy for me to calculate distance up to the desired waypoint(s) and used simple addition and subtraction to calculate distance between two waypoints.

• You've replied to a thread over 10 years old Slight smile