How to remove symbolic link

About 12 years ago BaseCamp did not have options for multiple libraries stored in multiple locations. To sync the library between an iMac and MBP, I created a symbolic link to the Basecamp folder. The BaseCamp folder contains your user data, waypoints, routes, etc. Basically information you have added to BaseCamp. It worked great for 12 years until I opened BaseCamp on both computers at the same time and got them out of sync. When Garmin added the multiple liberties and locations the solution became much easier and symbolic linking is no longer needed. Problem is I forgot how to undo the link. After a day of studying,I am making notes as to how I fix the problem and will post to the forum

When I linked the BaseCamp folder the Mac alias error appeared on the folder and it pointed to the Basecamp folder I placed in DropBox. I you did not have an internet connection, DropBox would save the changes and sync to the cloud and other Mac when you got a connection.

Terminal on the Mac usually opens in the Home directory. If you are somewhere else us cd to get to the home directory.

To create the symbolic link, open Terminal

cd Library/Application\ Support/Garmin
ln -s <your Dropbox directory>/BaseCamp

No reason use symbolic link now. The Current version of BaseCamp offers a better solution.

To remove the symbolic Link:

First step, VERY IMPORTANT MAKE A BACKUP
Quit BaseCamp
Open Terminal.
If terminal does not open in the home directory, cd to home directory

cd Library/Application\ Support/Garmin
unlink BaseCamp

The unlink actually deletes the BaseCamp folder in the Garmin folder
Library/Application Support/Garmin

When you open Basecamp, a new empty BaseCamp folder is created.
The BaseCamp folder in Dropbox is not deleted but note easy useable anymore.
Use your backup to restore you data.

I am think a much easier fix would be just to delete the basecamp folder from the Library/Application\ Support/Garmin folder but I know the terminal unlink takes care of everything.