Route overshoots points

When creating a route using the Hiking profile, I am finding that the route overshoots the points I have added.

See the attached screen recordings. In route_no_direct.mov, you can see as I add the points that the route overshoots. When I play the route, the pointer therefore goes back and forth along the path, lengthening the route.

In route_with_direct.mp4, I hold the Cmd button while adding some points to use Direct. This makes the overshoot visible on the shape of the route.

Is this a bug or am I just doing it completely and utterly wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

• I can't view your videos but when hiking I always use the direct profile as it gives me more control over what the route does.

• Well I would like to use the paths in the map if possible, as it saves a lot of time as opposed to creating lots of points, or else approximating which would result in a shorter length than in reality. I have replaced the .mov files, with .mp4 files, which seems to have fixed the issue.

• Still can't view them. Issue with your method is you can only use tracks marked as routeable in the map you're using so you're at the whim of the map maker.

• Sorry for the delay, I am currently away. It might be caching in your browser. I can view them in Firefox and Chrome.

I can't comment on the coverage of routable paths in the map I am using as I currently don't have access to a laptop, and have only tried with the path in the video. However, I am using a very highly regarded map, and the path I have tried it on is routable, despite being far from a main thoroughfare. Even if support for routable paths were patchy, that would not be a reason for doing it the slow and inaccurate manual way even for paths that are routable.