BMW Nav VI not recognized using macOS Big Sur with BaseCamp v4.8.12.

I recently purchased a new MacBook Air that runs macOS Big Sur, version 11.6.  I installed the latests version of BaseCamp (v 4.8.12), but when I hooked up my BMW Nav VI GPS via USB, the GPS unit isn't recognized so I could transfer routes.  Had to use my old Mac and old version of BaseCamp to transfer the GPX file.  Is there ia fix for this?

• I'm using Basecamp 4.8.11 on my Mac mini with my Nav VI via USB and do not have any problems - perhaps track down the earlier version and try that.  Incidentally although Garmin show 4.8.12 as being the latest Mac version of basecamp, when I check for updates to my version it says it is up to date?

• That's interesting......I found a troubleshooting tip in the Garmin Support page about devices not being recognized when using macOS Catalina and BigSur, referencing Privacy Permissions, but when I checked my System, I had the correct settings.  I'll keep working on it.  Thanks.

• No problem, I meant to add I am currently using BigSur - Hope you manage to sort it out satisfactorily

• Still no luck!!

I re-installed BaseCamp and Express and my GPS still won't mount as a removable drive on my new MacBook Air.  The MacBook Air doesn't have a standard USB port, only 2 USB-C ports.  I use a USB-C to USB Apple Adapter for thumb drives and SD Cards to transfer files which works fine.  I bought a cable USB-C to Micro USB to plug my GPS unit direct into my MacBook Air and that didn't work either.  At this point I'm at a total loss why my GPS Unit won't mount to my new Mac.  I can work around GPX file transfers, but I need this resolved to get Map updates.  Does Garmin recognize this as a problem, or am I the first to report this issue?

• ISSUE RESOLVED!!

Just thought I’d follow up and post that my problem has been resolved.  Garmin Support was helpful and lead me to work with Apple for a solution.  Apple online support wasn’t able to help me, so I decided to schedule a person to person appointment with my local Apple Store Genius Bar. Appears that Garmin Support was correct that the issue is related to the fact that the newer Mac computers with the M1 chip isn't compatible with all Garmin devices.
    With laptop and GPS unit in hand at the Apple Store, we tried different types of cables and adapters, and none of the Apple adapters worked but the SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter (2021-09) worked just fine. It was pretty expensive ($64.95), but I can use it for all of my interface needs with my new MB Air.  Apparently they have some cheaper models on their website as well.

satechi.net/.../multi-port-hubs

• I have posted a number observations/questions on this subject in the Garmin Express blog. I have precisely the same problem with my new Mac Book Air and BMW Motorrad Navigator VI. I have researched this issue extensively and it seems to be a common problem with multiple Garmin leisure and GPS devices when interfacing with the M1 version of the Mac Book Air.

I have failed to identify any fix so far. I am interested to hear that you have identified a solution, it seems that the Apple stores hold stock of the SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter (2021-09). It comes with a £64.96 price tag. I have already invested in both a genuine Apple USB C to USB A adapter and a similar Mokin device to no avail. I might try the local Apple store in Milton Keynes to see if I can try before I buy.

I've a suspicion that there are signal integrity issues with the USB C and Micro USB Data + and _ lines that relate to signal edge ringing. Matching signal line impedances are critical as data rates increase. The data rate speed capability of the USB C interface far exceeds that of the earlier USB A standards. I wonder if the Satechi adapter has successfully tamed the interface?

The alternative would involve software mods to the driver interface within the Garmin software as suggested by the Apple customer support team I spoke to. Garmin have unsurprisingly failed to respond to this suggestion.

Garmin Customer Support in the UK have hinted that a new USB C interface cable is under development and might be available at some unidentified time in the future. Not much help!

I think I'll go down the try before buy option if Apple will play ball.

• Hi

I wouldn't wait for a Garmin solution for this issue, cause I personally don't believe it's a BaseCamp or a Garmin product issue.  I suspect that the issue is either an Apple hardware or software issue.  If you read my other posts, I mentioned that I had no issue mounting my old Zumo 550 to my MacBook Air, using the standard Garmin cable.  For some reason the AirBook doesn't recognize the Navigator 6 without using the Multiport Adapter.  I feel that I should be able to mount my Navigator 6 to my M1 MacBook Air with the standard cable, just like the Zumo, so there is some kind of incompatibility between the Nav6 and my MacBook Air.  Fortunately the Multiport Adapter resolved my issue.  The Apple Tech said that he will notify Apple of my issue and resolution.  Possibly it will be resolved at a future date with an Apple software update.  For now, my issue is resolved but it cost me $65 to get it resolved.  Good Luck.

• I agree completely with your comment regarding waiting for Garmin.

I also have an older Zumo, the LM390, this GPS is still fully functional but does not integrate with the BMW wonder wheel supplied with my R1200RS. The LM390 sports the older USB Mini style connector on its rear panel.  As an experiment I connected the LM 390 to my Mac Book Air via both Mokin and Apple USB C to USB A adapters. It connected without any issue.

I have tried without success, to get any technical information relating to the internal circuits connecting to the Mini/Micro connectors from Garmin. As I pointed out in my previous post there are significant differences between the USB C standard data speeds and the older USB 1 & 2 speeds. I think the interface design within Garmin GPS is marginal when connected to a high speed M1 equipped Mac Book. Since Garmin are apparently not interested in getting involved in resolving this issue; I think a workaround as you've suggested is the only possible solution. The big question is, 'can this be repeated' on my installation?

As Clint Eastwood said "Do you feel lucky punk?" Gamble or give up.

Thanks for your insight.

• Good news at last. I visited my local Apple Store this morning and got to try the Satechi multiport USB-C adapter you recommended and it worked. I’m £64.99 lighter now but at least I can look forward to continuing to make use of my Nav VI and MacBook for the immediate future.

Using Basecamp with Big Sur has shown up some differences over the version running on my iMac with Catalina. The curvy routes option seems to have disappeared and the conversion from tracks to routes seems rather more fiddly than previously experienced. In particular, the route does not follow the original track. I have so far not resolved this issue.

• I know the adapter is expensive, but at least it solves the problem with mounting the Garmin unit.  I'm running MacOS 12.1 Monterey and I have the Curvy Roads option under the Routing Preferences.  I don't convert tracks, but there are settings for transferring Routes and Tracks in the Preferences Transfer section of BaseCamp.