Fenix 6x Pro not recognized by Basecamp 4.8.12, Big Sur 11.5.1., Macbook Pro M1/Apple Silicon

Hi folks,

seems like never ending pain with Garmin devices continues with BaseCamp 4.8.12 on Big Sur 11.5.1., Macbook Pro M1/Apple Silicon. I am unable to see the watch (Fenix 6x / Tactix delta) in Basecamp at all, but in Express its working fine. In MTP USB mode, I got nothing. In Garmin USB mode i got error in com with device, but at least its visible in BaseCamp to display device details.Thats it. The watch is running lastest SW 16.70.

I tried:

• different cables, different USB-C hubs and convertors
  • both Garmin and MTP USB modes
  • reinstalling Basecamp
  • adding Basecamp to Privacy allowing full disk access
  • removing Garmin Express completely

Any ideas?

Thank you for racional suggestions.

• Ok folks, found the guilty one here. Its the brand of the USB-C hubs I am using for getting USB-A ports out of USB-C port in Macbook Pro. Gmobi USB-C Video Docking, model GN30H is simply not working with Basecamp, but with Express works just fine. Apple Genuine USB-C/USB adapter works just fine. 

• I am a little irritated:
    When installing BC it says as system requirement for Mac
    Intel Based Mac.

I am surprised that it runs at all with the M1. But that is then great :-)

• Basecamp didn't see my fenix 6 pro at first.  Digging around I found this requirement for the Automotive units:

... For example, if Garmin Express is open and has detected the device, opening Garmin BaseCamp at the same time will result in BaseCamp being unable to find the device until both applications are completely closed and the desired application is re-opened. 

I tried closing Garmin Express and restarted Basecamp.  The splash screed didn't acknowledge the watch but it loaded the maps.

This is on a 16" M1 MacBook Pro.

Sorry to restart a stale thread but it's what I found trying to solve my problem.

• Thanks for the info, closing G Express, allowed Basecamp to see Fenix 6x. :)

• Garmin clearly states that watches with music features do no longer support mass storage mode, but only MTP. Since BaseCamp does not support MTP at this time, you might be able to see a device icon in BaseCamp that looks like your watch, but it won't connect. There are 3rd-party tools in the field that mimic a mass storage device running on MTP for those who are prepared to take risks. For those wo don't, there is the Garmin connect portal and the Garmin Explore App.