Basecamp is a terrible piece of software

Really, Garmin. Have you used it yourself? It's buggy, totally user-unfriendly, etc..., etc... There is too much not to like about this program to start listing issues. 

Trash the current implementation and rebuild it from the ground up, please.

• I totally disagree that it is user-unfriendly.  I works very well to manage and edit gps data .They need to keep a non-online program to manage data away from the internet and Basecamp is a program that does this well.

For issues, I think they should use a separate database file instead of a "hidden" one for a default.  I create my own .BCLIBRARY library and don't have to hunt around for and worry about loosing the Garmin hidden one.  There are bugs that are in dire need of being fixed.  To me the MAJOR one is using BC Backup and then Restore loses your timestamps of the tracks in the resulting Restored library but I just manually backup the BCLIBRARY file.  This bug has been in BC for a long time and it is amazing that Garmin totally ignores a MAJOR data loss bug. POOR job Garmin.  They are releasing new hardware all the time but until they get their act together and start fixing the software issues I will not be buying any new devices.  

• bobgps - Just to be clear, are you saying you back up the current version folder at *username* > Library > Application Support > Garmin > BaseCamp > Database > 4.8 ? (4.8 used as an example of current version) Or, just particular file(s) within that 4.8 folder? I will back up this entire folder somewhere before any BC update.

• daknudsen

I don't even use the Garmin AllData.gdb file and 4.8 folder.. I immediately go to Garmin/Preferences/Advanced and chose NEW LIBRARY.  My library is stored in the Documents folder under a"My Garmin" folder and is called GarminData.bclibrary.  I fact I have several bclibrary files including a Temporary one to mess around with data without messing up my main bclibrary.  My AllData.gdb file in the 4.8 folder is only 92 bytes long so contains nothing.  Due to the SERIOUS bug above, I just backup manulally the bclibrary files.  

• As an added note, that is why I call the Garmin database file Hidden as a user has to know the secret-handshake to access the user/Library folders and know where the file is.  These should be automatically stored in the Documents folder by default.

• Completely agree. I can't see what anyone would use it for. TBF I think the software generally is Garmin's Achilles Heel.

• These should be automatically stored in the Documents folder by default.

... where too many people would see a large mysterious file and delete it.

For the few people who would care about the file, it's not that hard to find out where it is kept.

• Why would you wonder what the file is if YOU told Basecamp to name and create the file in the folder of your choice.  Basecamp should work like any other program that doesn’t place your data files in the User Library.  Its pretty poor computer management if you don’t know where and how your data is stored and know how to back it up.  A big plus for using the Documents folder.  

• People delete things inadvertently all the time.

People will typically blame Garmin for their "pretty poor computer management".

For the few people who care, it's easy enough to find the location.