Basecamp isn't compatible with 78sc built-in maps?

Basecamp 4.8.11 on macOS catalina or big sur - tried this on three different macs, and the same thing happens on each.

When I connect my GPSMAP 78sc to the machine, it appears in the Basecamp sidebar, and under the device in the Charts folder, it says "Reading map ..." with a progress bar.

However it gets to about 70% complete, and then aborts. At this point the map from the device (the bundled US + Bahamas map) is not available in basecamp.

Then I copied all files off the garmin device onto a USB removable thumb drive. When I plug that in, Basecamp sees it as my 78sc, and begins "Reading map..." but again halts 70% of the way through.

When I first opened the 78sc, I Garmin Express prompted me to update the built-in map, which I did. It seems to be usable just fine on the device itself, but it seems there is something about it that Basecamp does not like.

• I should note that I've already tried reinstalling the map on the device via Garmin Express a couple of times. Doesn't help.

• Here's what Garmin support replied to me:

"Your device is loaded with g3 mapping which is not compatible with the BaseCamp software. You can use the program to transfer user data between the device and application but BaseCamp will not be able to display your built in chart."

what do others do in order to mitigate this? To plot points or routes on an actual marine chart, I've had to use another piece of desktop software, export that as GPX, and import into Basecamp. However Basecamp doesn't like the other program's GPX file - it complains that it's invalid -- so I had to manually copy each point's coordinates.

There must be a better way. Are there any programs out there which can generate waypoints & routes onto an NOAA chart? And then export as GPX in a format that is Basecamp compatible? 

• According to Garmin: "Tough luck." Well, I'm paraphrasing, but that's essentially the message.

I moved to HomePort when Garmin 'Support' ruined my Upper Midwest Fishing Guide chip (which worked with BaseCamp) by trashing some essential files that they couldn't restore and so sent me a free replacement in the form of a LakeVu HD chip (which did not work with BaseCamp). Then, when HomePort didn't upgrade to 64-bit, I went back to BaseCamp but had to find an old UMFG chip on eBay.

Same explanation: the LakeVu chip is a g3 "chart" and therefore not supported by BaseCamp Mac.