Garmin 65 will not connect to BaseCamp on Mac.

Using Basecamp on Mac which is currently "Big Sur". I have two Garmin GPS's, DriveSmart 65 with Alexa and Nuvi 8. I am able to connect both to Garmin Express and install updates, but only the Nuvi will connect to Basecamp, it does not recognize the DriveSmart GPS.  I am using the same data cable for both GPS units.

Top Replies

All Replies

• Try setting your DriveSmart to mass storage rather than mtp mode and see if that helps.

• I also have the DriveSmart 65 and could not get Basecamp to recognize the GPS unit on the Mac running Big Sur.  My workaround was to use an SD memory card in an SD card reader connected to the Mac.  Basecamp had no problem recognizing the SD card.  I was able to send my planned trip to the SD card.  I then was able to put the SD card back in the DriveSmart 65 and the trip was immediately found under the Trip Planner app

• How? It appears in System Information -> USB but not as a mounted volume. Express has no trouble finding it but BaseCamp is doing nothing but burning 0% CPU with a spinning beach ball.

There is no mention of "mass storage" in the SmartDrive 65 With Traffic owner's manual. The only use of "mount" pertains to mounting in an automobile.

• There is no mention of "mass storage"

Correct. It's not publicly documented by Garmin. From the main screen tap Volume > press and hold the top right corner of the screen until the screen changes to Diagnostics Page

Then go to Configuration and Settings > MTP settings > select Mass Storage > Save.

• Though this was reported 2 years ago, I still see the problem even today. I got a Drive smart 65 and tried to connect to Basecamp in my  M1 Mac mini. Sadly it does not connect. But yes it does show up in Garmin Express. However I have an old Nuvi device which connects to both Basecamp and Express. 

I dont know what am I missing on the Drivesmart. I also followed  advice on the forum, like the SD card. Basecamp detects the SD card. But I want to make the direct connection work. I also made the sure Basecamp has permissions for both removable drive and full disk access. But sadly not helping. 

Any other solutions ? Please help! 

PS: I am using Version 4.8.12. The build seems to work fine. I can connect to Nuvi and use it the normal way. 

• This also applies to the Drivesmart:

Using MTP devices on an Mac has some limitations: you can't access the device in Finder (use Android File Transfer instead) and a program has exclusively access to a MTP device. When Garmin Express is installed on your Mac, it will always run in the background by default. This will prevent other programs (like BaseCamp) connecting to the GPSMAP. Change the settings of Express and quit the program before using BaseCamp:
    Open Express > Preferences and uncheck "Always keep Garmin Express running in the background"
    Quit Garmin Express (cmnd Q) and start BaseCamp.

It is true that some devices that use MTP by default can be set to USB Mass Storage mode using an undocumented setting, however those devices will switch automatically to Mass Storage mode when they are connected to a Mac.

The latest devices don't support the Mass Storage mode anymore.

• Thanks for the note! I was able to connect for once ! I really dont how I managed it. After it does not help anymore. I did as you suggested and disabled Garmin Express running in background. And then when I connect the Drive Smart it autopromps asking Mass Storage Mode connection. But even that does not help.