This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp and Big Sur

Hello, 

I just installed Basecamp on my Mac yesterday, plugged in my Oregon650t and man it's running slow beyond belief. Didn't have this problem on my 2011 Mac. Is there a way to fix this problem? Seems like every second or two, the rainbow wheel of death shows up and stops me from navigating through the app. Current maps I have on device are US too 100K. Code red, please help. *UPDATE*---Change map view from 2-D to 3-D until a new update release from Garmin. Works good.

• What has worked correctly for you?

• I have added everyone who sent me PM's to the ticket. We have also published an article in our Support Center with steps for enabling 3D in Basecamp as a workaround for the time being: BaseCamp Locking Up or Not Responding on Mac OS 11.0.1 Big Sur

• Yup, this is insane. I'm having the same issue. Something as simple as importing a .gpx, converting it, and sending it to a device should take about 5 minutes. I've been at this for over 1/2 hour with 95% of the time spent with the spinning wheel of frustration. Garmin should be able to get on this faster and better. Their basecamp support over the years has been substandard at best. Don't hold your breath waiting for a quick solution.

• BaseCamp no longer has a devoted team working on it. The team was disbanded years ago and it's no longer being developed further, so I'm afraid it is what it is and will only be looked at when significant issues like this arise. Hopefully the fix won't be too long in coming  but bear in mind this is a free program so Garmin are under no obligation to even keep it going.

Having said that its predecessor, MapSource, is still available and works well in Windows, unfortunately it doesn't run on a Mac OS.

• BaseCamp is not a free program, it is included in the price of the GPSr, maps, accessories, etc. Without BaseCamp, a Garmin GPSr is of little use or value. The management of data, waypoints, tracks, routes, maps, etc. is woefully difficult to impossible to do exclusively on the GPSr. The importance of being able to get data off a GPSr and install data on a GPSr is crucial. It would be cumbersome to not be able to do that or have to do it directly on the GPSr. Imagine not having BaseCamp, how would you store collected tracks and waypoints; manage trips, routes, waypoints, etc.; and all that BaseCamp makes possible?

If BaseCamp is not continued and maintained, then Garmin is making their GPSr devices difficult to impossible to use. So they are indeed obligated to keep it going, for their own survival, and the benefit of their customers.

• Garmin produced devices long before BaseCamp came along so it can't be said to be included in the price of a GPS.  I too use BaseCamp and can't see it disappearing anytime soon, as I mentioned its predecessor MapSource is still available. Garmin however are under no obligation to keep developing BaseCamp.

• The early Garmin devices were simple and as such had no features or need for a tool such as BaseCamp. The modern Garmin devices are far more capable and need a tool such as BaseCamp to make use of the capability of the modern GPSr. A standalone Garmin GPSr is massively hobbled without a tool such as BaseCamp. 

Garmin will not be able to sustain sales of GPSr devices without a top quality, well featured and maintained tool such as BaseCamp. There is no way to use and benefit from all the features packed into a modern GPSr without a tool such as BaseCamp, hence Garmin is indeed obligated to sustain BaseCamp. There is no way to use all the features of a modern GPSr without a tool such as BaseCamp. And it is absurdly difficult to try to do so with the GPSr as the exclusive human interface. Try creating and maintaining thousands of waypoints with only the GPSr. And they must make that tool available on all major platforms, not just Windows. 

• Well you can say that as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact, there is no development team and I haven't suggested BaseCamp will be withdrawn, just that they aren't obligated to maintain it and it is what it is. I'm sure in due course it will work with Big Sur.

• If there is no BaseCamp team anymore, and you are saying BC won't be maintained or supported anymore, that means BaseCamp is on a path to be obsoleted. That's the way software dev works. Operating systems such as macOS and Windows will continue to be updated, and that inherently obsoletes apps that run on them if the apps are not kept up to date with the operating systems.  

For example, the Garmin iOS GPS app was excellent on an iPhone. Garmin stopped supporting it, and it went obsolete, it no longer runs satisfactorily on the newest iOS. Per your postings, that is what you are saying is the same path for BaseCamp, particularly on the Mac.

Garmin needs to learn the importance of product support. 

Given the feature set of a modern GPS, such as the GPSMAP, Fenix, Montana, Oregon, Overlander, etc. it appears that if Garmin is not keeping BC around, most of their product line is doomed. I certainly would not be able to use my GPSMAP products the way I do without BaseCamp. My fenix is unusable without BaseCamp.

Entering hundreds, or even thousands of waypoints, creating a route with dozens of waypoints is just too tedious and time consuming. 

• I agree but you're perhaps missing the point. MapSource is still available and works. BaseCamp is still available and works.  Garmin have introduced Explore for newer devices buy.garmin.com/.../614327 so those of us with older devices have to continue to use BaseCamp or upgrade our devices just like folks who every year or so update their phones and other tech gadgets or we muddle through with what we have. It's our choice and Garmin never promised to continually update its older mapping programs