Basecamp 4.8.9 - Backup / Restore removes track timestamps

Hi, 

i want to migrate my basecamp data from BC 4.8.9 running macOS High Sierra to a new mac running catalina and BC same version.

I tried backup on old mac and restore into a fresh library from the backup file, which somehow works.

However all tracks loose their timestamps and elevation info.

Due to elder posts this could be a side effect of a historic bug ...

Is there any recommended procedure to migrate the data?

Thanks
Hajo

• Yes, Garmin-Andrew reached out to me and he seems very interested is solving the issue.  Beings i create my own database file instead of using the hidden or hard to find  Garmin one I have just been doing manual copy/backups of it to avoid this issue with backup/restore.

• Well, I performed the update to 4.8.11, but only AFTER copying to a thumb drive the 684 tracks I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't lose timestamp and elevation data. Update only took a minute or so, and... all data remained intact. Nice to return to 2D maps view!

• I have NEVER had an issue with losing data updating from one version of Basecamp to a newer version. It always went smoothly.  The backup/restore data loss is a different issue

• The loss-during-update issue sometimes rears its ugly head when a new folder is created in Library > Application Support > Garmin > BaseCamp > Database. However, this only happens when the update is major enough to warrant a full tenth increment. If I recall correctly, it was the uparade to 4.7.0 in May 2018 that was a killer for some of us. Recovering the suddenly lost data was accomplished by erasing the new 4.7 library folder and renaming the old 4.6 folder ‘4.7.’

• Thanks for the extra info.  I guess that’s why we keep backups and why the backups should not lose data!!

• This data loss issue is still 4.8.11

• I have to disagree with Garmin's statement "The issue seems to be exclusive to Mac operating systems..." I have been using Garmin GPS units since 1997. I began using basecamp early in the first decade of 2000, with no problems at all.  Over the past 4 yrs now, I too have noted that some of my tracks are losing timestamps, elevation data on all of their data points - totally sporadically and without me having done any editing whatsoever on those tracks.  I only ever used windows based OS on my computers.  I think that a memory leak is happening and that must be debugged - it is totally unacceptable for ANY piece of software to have data loss - FIX THE BUG! 

• Maybe you are having this issue.  I used to have loss of timestamp info from my Garmin GPSMAP 60 from JUST importing because I imported the Saved Track.  I found out too late the the Saved track removed the timestamp IN THE GPS but the Continuous Track had the information so I QUIT using Saved Track from the GPS 60 in Basecamp.  I am not sure what the GPSMAP 64csx does with Saved Tracks.  I think I will check.

• I just checked saved tracks on my 64csx and Saved Tracks do have all the info.  I guess the OLD 60 (not the 60x models) didn't save all the info because of limited internal memory.  

• REALLY POOR JOB Garmin.  You released Basecamp 4.8.12 and this Backup/Restore DATA LOSS issue still exists.  Don't you care about your users losing data.  There have been 3 updates and Andrew from Garmin was aware of the issue and still no fix.