This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Send to device: route duplicated 50 times!

I'm not sure exactly when this started happening, possibly with a recent update to BaseCamp, certainly before v4.8.9.

When I create a route in BaseCamp and then send to device (a Zumo 340LM), I find upon import on boot up the route is duplicated 50 times! the Trip Planner app becomes slow to respond and obviously a pain to scroll through. When I reconnect the device to BaseCamp and browse the device I see my route duplicated 50 times, with suffixes 1 - 49.

The original route:

After importing the route on the Zumo device:

After inspecting route on Zumo device (it scroll down much further with 50 copies of the route):

Oddly, if I delete the route on the device, I only need to select one of the copies and the Zumo will delete all copies.

I tried clearing out all old routes, waypoints, favourites history etc. but this made no difference.

Any ideas? It's really annoying? I don't know if this is a bug in BaseCamp sending data to the device, or the Zumo itself badly importing the data, could be either I guess.

Thanks!

• OK, bit more digging. I get the same behaviour after a factory reset on the Zumo.

Same issue after clearing out all the contents of the GPX folder.

Same issue, if I export the route from BaseCamp as a GPX and manually copy it over.

The Zumo will only ask to import the two routes I have, but always duplicate them on the import. FWIW the progress percentage counter goes up and down many times for each of the routes it's importing. When I inspect the GPX/Current.gpx file afterwards there is clearly lots of duplication. Two routes ballooned it to 24Mb and thus cause the device to load pretty slowly.

Below is my exported GPX and the resultant Current.gpx after import.

Current.gpx.zipTo Erw Wen via Stratford, Ludlow.GPX.zip

I can see myself needing to write some tool to remove duplicates from the Current.gpx file to workaround this highly annoying issue.

• I'd call Product Support, given what you say you've done your Zumo is clearly faulty, and Product Support should be able to help with a replacement.

Note editing the current.gpx file won't help as it's simply a one way copy of what's in internal inaccessible memory, it's created on boot up and not read by your Zumo.

• Note editing the current.gpx file won't help as it's simply a one way copy of what's in internal inaccessible memory, it's created on boot up and not read by your Zumo.

Yes found that out. Was just reverted again with all the duplicate routes upon next boot up.

Odd you say it's faulty. Physically the device works fine, it's just recently the software has this bug in it, that is duplicating data. Seem very specific behaviour to attribute to a hardware fault that could be resolved through a replacement device. And given the age of the device, I'm unsure what kind of replacement Garmin would be inclined to provide other than the purchase of a brand new model kind... I'll get in touch nonetheless and see what resolution they suggestion.

How does one get Support from Garmin?! I see no link on their website to get support: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?productID=115830&tab=topics# Just links to some very basic questions.

• Need to go to the main support page then Contacts 

Product Support

0808 238 0000 (UK landline free phone)
    03708501242 (standard geographic charges)
    Monday-Friday 8:30 - 17:30 GMT.
    Closed weekends and national holidays.

I'm learning towards a device issue as if this was a software issue there would be loads of folks on various forums complaining and there aren't.

• Ok, I'll try given them a bell and see what response I get.

FWIW, I've also found I get this very same issue of duplicated routes if I also try to create a route directly on the Zumo within the Trip Planner feature. When saved, it appears duplicated 50 odd times again. All very odd.

• Points more and more to a faulty device, will wait with interest to hear what Garmin say.

• Just wanted to follow up after getting some help from Garmin Support. The issue turned out to be a corrupt Trips folder on the device. This was the response from Support:

--

If a device with Trip Planner unexpectedly duplicates a trip multiple times, this can indicate that the Trips folder on the device is corrupt. To correct this, you will need to delete and re-make the Trips folder. The Trips folder is in a hidden .System folder. To get to this hidden folder, the device needs to be in Mass Storage mode.

Note: Deleting the Trips folder will also delete any trips saved on the device.

To put your device into Mass Storage mode:

1. Touch Volume
    2. Touch and hold the upper right corner of the screen until you see a diagnostics menu
    3. Touch MTP Settings (you may need to scroll down)
      • Touch Configuration and Settings on some devices before getting the option for MTP Settings
    4. Touch Mass Storage Single Session
    5. Touch Save

The device will now go into Mass Storage mode when connected. After the initial connection, it will automatically go back to MTP mode when connected again.

To view the hidden .System folder:

1. Connect the device to the computer with a USB cable
    2. Press the Windows key + E on your keyboard
      • If using Windows 10, click This PC after this
    3. Double-click the Garmin drive
    4. Click on the address bar with the drive letter present at the top of the page
      • Note: This is not the same as the search bar, which is located to the right
    5. Press the right arrow key
    6. Type .System (not case sensitive)
    7. Press Enter on the keyboard

The computer will now open the .System folder. It will not be necessary to change folder and search options on the operating system.

To create a new Trips folder:

1. Open the .System folder on the device
    2. Delete the Trips folder
    3. Right-click in the .System folder and select New Folder
    4. Name the new folder Trips
      • The T in "Trips" must be capitalized
    5. Safely Eject/Disconnect the device from the computer

The device should once again be able to properly save trips.

--

On the Mac, instructions are slightly different, device automatically mounts as a mass storage device when plugged in, so didn't need the first step. To get to the hidden .System folder, I used the Find 'Go to Folder' dialog (shift+cmd+G), then entered /Volumes/Garmin/.System

From there, I just deleted the Trips folder and recreated a new empty folder.

Afterwards, everything works fine. Trips created on the device and those transferred from BaseCamp show up just once, and the whole device loads things up much faster now.

Got there in the end, many thanks for the support! Hope this info is useful to others who encounter this issue.

• Thanks for posting that Slight smile