Basecamp is a terrible piece of software

Really, Garmin. Have you used it yourself? It's buggy, totally user-unfriendly, etc..., etc... There is too much not to like about this program to start listing issues. 

Trash the current implementation and rebuild it from the ground up, please.

Parents
  • The problem is that a Garmin uses Windows developers and started from a Windows product (Mapsource) which was heavily optimized for Windows video updates. I never got the impression as a user that Garmin was doing anything but the minimal effort for Mac. Hired contract programmers who hang around until management signs off, then gone. Such programmers do not write code that they themselves expect to have to maintain or enhance. You are a stupid Mac user who will be happy for anything. Obviously true because we are here.

The user interface for managing sets of data is a pie in the sky fantasy. It doesn’t work with large quantities of data. It doesn’t gave a clean means of archiving data then revisit.

Much data read from GPS again is confused with data previously read so one ends up with a collection of HOME, HOME-1, -2, -3, ... -7. And same thing for track logs and other waypoints.

Can only upload a route to the GPS. Only means to delete is directly on the GPS. For years we had to mount the GPS as a file system then navigate to a folder to delete files in order to clean up the mess.

Most of Mac BaseCamp’s life it had juvenile coding errors such as wrong case for /Volumes/GARMIN. If one’s root volume was case sensitive then BC could not read most Garmin GPSs. However Garmin Express could. Today if your Time Capsule uses a case sensitive file system then BC will perpetually pest for permission to scan the volume to determine if it is Garmin-ese. Apparently this is not an issue in Windows where C:\ and c:\ are indistinguishable  

Then let’s not forget the problems creating a route on computer that is interpreted differently in the GPS.

I’d love for a company to offer a high quality GPS and supporting software. I’m tired of paying premium prices for mediocre Garmin Zumo 595. But I’ll put up with Garmin when I bought DriveSmart 61LMT 7” for $99 refurbished. Arguably better GPS than the $800 Zumo. 

• The problem is that a Garmin uses Windows developers and started from a Windows product (Mapsource) which was heavily optimized for Windows video updates. I never got the impression as a user that Garmin was doing anything but the minimal effort for Mac. Hired contract programmers who hang around until management signs off, then gone. Such programmers do not write code that they themselves expect to have to maintain or enhance. You are a stupid Mac user who will be happy for anything. Obviously true because we are here.

The user interface for managing sets of data is a pie in the sky fantasy. It doesn’t work with large quantities of data. It doesn’t gave a clean means of archiving data then revisit.

Much data read from GPS again is confused with data previously read so one ends up with a collection of HOME, HOME-1, -2, -3, ... -7. And same thing for track logs and other waypoints.

Can only upload a route to the GPS. Only means to delete is directly on the GPS. For years we had to mount the GPS as a file system then navigate to a folder to delete files in order to clean up the mess.

Most of Mac BaseCamp’s life it had juvenile coding errors such as wrong case for /Volumes/GARMIN. If one’s root volume was case sensitive then BC could not read most Garmin GPSs. However Garmin Express could. Today if your Time Capsule uses a case sensitive file system then BC will perpetually pest for permission to scan the volume to determine if it is Garmin-ese. Apparently this is not an issue in Windows where C:\ and c:\ are indistinguishable  

Then let’s not forget the problems creating a route on computer that is interpreted differently in the GPS.

I’d love for a company to offer a high quality GPS and supporting software. I’m tired of paying premium prices for mediocre Garmin Zumo 595. But I’ll put up with Garmin when I bought DriveSmart 61LMT 7” for $99 refurbished. Arguably better GPS than the $800 Zumo. 

Children
No Data