This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp file export problems in Catalina

have been a long time Basecamp users Mac. I know many folks don't like this app, but I have yet to find anything else on a desktop that has the database capabilities like it. But now I'm looking harder. I was running Basecamp 4.8.7 on MacBook pro in Catalina with no issues until I made the mistake of allowing it update to 4.8.8. After the update it would no longer export any files to an internal volume including to backup the database (I have like 15 years of routes and waypoints). Garmin support was responsive but unwilling to really do anything to help me figure out how to save my data. Suggesting I uninstall and reload which would wipe out my data. I managed to find a way on my own to save my data to a backup file using a different laptop, putting in a time machine backup of the the 4.8.7 files.

So I then did the uninstall and reload of 4.8.8 on the original mac, which appeared to fix the problem initially with a couple test exports. After restoring my database, I imported a couple new routes from GPX, and then tried to make a new backup and Basecamp again failed as before. It just hangs up after opening the window to identify the export location. No error no nothing. only can be force quit by MacOS.

So it seems to be really flakey in Catalina. Anyone else experienced problems like this? Thanks!

• After much experimenting, I was convinced the problem was some sort of corruption in my Library database or size limit or something. I was able to get things working by creating a new library. I used the backup of my data I had retrieved to restore into Basecamp. Then instead of exporting anything, used Basecamp>preferences>New Library... When that is executed, the program asked if you want to import the data from the existing open library. I responded yes, and it seems to have put all my data in the new database which is behaving fine on Basecamp 4.8.8 Catalina now. Give it a try...

• I managed to work around this this the following way:

1. Open Activity Monitor
    2. Choose the "Energy" tab (this is for ease of navigation)
    3. Force quit these 2 child processes under Basecamp:

com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (BaseCamp)
    QuickLookUIService (com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (BaseCamp))

This closes the export dialog. After that, you can attempt to export again. It worked no issues afterwards.

• I solved it a little bit differently.  I tried this because it worked on another program that didn't export.  I used the FULL finder export dialog, not the mini one, to choose a different folder from what I usually use for backup.   It exported.  I then chose the original backup folder and it then it has worked since.  It must have been some kind of corruption/change of the backup location format moving from Mojave to Catalina that was stored in the preference file.  It now works with export too.

• In my case it solved the frozen dialog issues but afterwards the same problem started again. 

• I can verify a method like bobgps suggested. I have had the hangups randomly when exporting files several times with the same OS version. When it occurs I force quit Basecamp and start it again. Then redo the save but choose a different folder as the location to save. It completes and thereafter will allow saving back to the original folder, as well.This has worked several times.