This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BaseCamp Slow

Hi all,

I have Basecamp on my mac, It ran perfectly when I connected my Fenix 5x or Edge Explore. I have just got the fenix 6X Pro and allowed it to upload all the maps from the watch, but it keeps giving me the pin wheel and takes literally minutes to load a page.

is there something i'm doing wrong?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

thanks 

Steve 

• A couple things to note:

1.  The first time you connect a new device to BaseCamp, it loads the maps into the Disk Cache.  If that Disk Cache is already full, well then, it's gonna get purged and start over.  Check your BC prefs to change it.

2.  When I use BC, I make SURE that I'm working on the map that's load ON MY MAC, not the GPS.  It's ALWAYS slower to load, scroll, zoom, etc.

3.  If you haven't already, I put that Current Map menu in my Toolbar so I can always see which map I'm working on.  Here's the problem, though, you'll have 2 maps with identical names; the Mac's and the GPS' map.  I make sure the one on the MAC is selected BEFORE connecting the GPS.  That way, the correct map will stay selected.  You'll know if you didn't do this, because BC will revert back to the GLOBAL MAP when you disconnect.

HTH

• thanks for the reply.

it would appear that the maps have loaded from the watch, but the computer is still pulling the maps from the watch and I don't seem to be able to get them on to the machine.

I have seen videos about transferring a copy of the maps to my mac using garmin express, but the options aren't there. 

i seem to just be going round in circles and loosing patience with it. 

• Please note BC doesn't upload maps from your watch, it simply indexes them on first use.  Provided you've let that process complete BC should display the map fairly quickly, certainly within seconds.  Which map is on your watch?  Note Express can only install the map to your mac once you're offered an update to the map, if you haven't yet had an update that option isn't available.  I'm also confused by your comment 'minutes to load a page', what exactly do you mean by that?

• using the fenix 5, I would plug the watch in and basecamp would open the maps. i could then zoom in/out and scroll with no lag.

now doing the same with the fenix 6, if i zoom/scroll the map is missing, then I get the pin wheel, then after 30 seconds or so, I then get the map loaded. 

I have found that my version of garmin express was out of date, so that is now updated. I have deleted the watch from my profile and reconnected it. I have even deleted basecamp and reinstalled (however the maps can't have been removed from the cach as they instantly appeared when I reinstalled BC)

so i just don't know what to do? can I delete the maps altogether and reinstall them? 

• That's a really confusing post.  At one point you talk about delays of around 30 seconds then say the maps instantly appear. You can check which maps are actually installed by running BC without any device connected, what maps can you then see? It's quite possible at some point you've installed the map that's on your Fenix5 but you haven't done so with your Fenix6, that would explain any difference in performance

• basically it doesn't work with the fenix 6 and previously it worked fine with the fenix 5.

I deleted BC and the cache, then unpaired the watch from my account.

I then repaired the watch, then reloaded all the maps in garmin express.

then downloaded a blank version of BC

currently the maps are being transferred into the cache on BC

i'll see how successful i am in the morning

• Again, in case it confuses others, the maps are not transferred as you put it, simply indexed.  Hopefully though it'll now work.

• all are now indexed. when the watch is plugged in the maps appear in the 'installed maps' page, and all appear under the 'my garmin devices' tab.

As I pan and zoom the maps are there, but the lag in rendering the map on screen is in excess of 30 seconds.   

• That's no doubt because you're using maps on the device.  Number of options.  Reduce detail level while you pan or zoom then increase detail level if needed. Use Express to install the map to your Mac if Express allows it.  Copy the map to a  removable drive on your mac, this could be a physical or virtual drive, but they must be removable and the map file must be in a folder named Garmin.

• Seemingly since the fenix 5 plus the usb protocol has changed and MAC doesn’t like it. 

So it doesn’t appear in finder (macs version of my computer)

ive managed to download an android opener that gives me access to the file directory on the watch. 

Ive tried copying the maps to a fresh SSD partition but BC doesn’t recognize it. 

Ive also copies to a USB drive, BC recognizes the drive but not the maps or Garmin folder. 

Ive opened a case with Garmin, but they’ve not come back to me or even acknowledged receipt of the email they asked for with screen shots