This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Route changing when uploaded to Zumo 660 from Basecamp

Each time I create a route in Basecamp and transfer it to the Zumo, the route is drastically different on the Zumo.  When I recalculate within the Zumo in custom routes, to shortest route and then back to fastest route, the mileage of the route becomes much closer to the original Basecamp route, but is still not exactly the same (difference of 2 miles over a 40 mile route).  Any ideas?  The longer the route the worse it gets.

• Zumo 660LM with CN North America NT 2020.20, latest firmware
  • Basecamp for Mac 4.8.3 with CN North America NT 2020.20 locally installed
  • All avoidances and routing options appear to be the same.

I have used Basecamp in the past few years and have never had this problem, the routes have always matched.  This occurred when I updated the maps to a 2019 version earlier this year.  I updated the maps again to 2020 (on both the sumo and the computer) and the problem still occurs  I have double checked the maps on both and they are the same.  I reset the zumo to factory defaults and still no change.

• I note you say all avoidances and routings appear to be the same.  I suspect something is different.  Which profile are you using in BaseCamp?  If the motorcycle one try the car one instead.

• Thanks for the help.  The avoidances and routings are all the same, but I just noticed I get a notification when transferring the route to the Zumo that 'the route was recalculated because it was created on a map not available on this device."  

This must be the problem, but the Zumo and Basecamp have the same map version, I just updated them yesterday.  However the Zumo has an sd card installed, if the map is installed on the sd card could that impact it. The Zumo under map info indicated the same map version as Basecamp.

• So it turns out it has to do with the map version installed by Garmin Express on the Zumo.  

When I updated to the latest version of the NA maps in Garmin Express it said it was to large to install the entire map package to the internal Zumo memory and asked if I wanted to install the whole NA map package on an SD card, which I originally did.  When I removed the sd card and reinstalled only a regional NA map package on the internal memory I no longer get the notification that the maps don't match in Basecamp and the routes match perfectly between Basecamp and the Zumo.

Not that this solves the problem long term as it's now regionally limited by only being able to install part of the NA maps on the Zumo, but at least I know what the issue is.

• Great, I'll close this thread