How to create base camp MTB tracks on "paths"

Hi. I have not been able to find any information relating to this so any advice would be great. I am trying to create a MTB track in basecamp to transfer back to my Montana 650. Some of the track is on roads, some of it is on dirt trails, which are marked as "paths" on my Topo maps in Basecamp. No matter what I select - bike or MTB (or even walking or hiking) - as the activity, it just does NOT let me create the track on the line marked "path" on the map. The purple line gets created in a huge loop around the "path" following normal roads but never on the "path". I can however draw he track on the "path" using the "draw a track" function. I have now created the whole bike track as a combination of "create a route" routes (for the on road bits) and "draw a track" tracks for the bits that follow "paths" but I would like to join these into one track that I can set on the map and follow as I am riding along. Is this possible in any way???
  • Only if you have a routeable map that will route along the trails you want to follow, and from your description you don't. ANY mapping program can only route in accordance with the data contained in the map. Basecamp though does (now) allow routes with mixed activity profiles so you can do what is required, but it takes some patience :).

I find the simplest way is just to use the Direct routing method.
  • Hi. I have not been able to find any information relating to this so any advice would be great. I am trying to create a MTB track in basecamp to transfer back to my Montana 650. Some of the track is on roads, some of it is on dirt trails, which are marked as "paths" on my Topo maps in Basecamp. No matter what I select - bike or MTB (or even walking or hiking) - as the activity, it just does NOT let me create the track on the line marked "path" on the map. The purple line gets created in a huge loop around the "path" following normal roads but never on the "path". I can however draw he track on the "path" using the "draw a track" function. I have now created the whole bike track as a combination of "create a route" routes (for the on road bits) and "draw a track" tracks for the bits that follow "paths" but I would like to join these into one track that I can set on the map and follow as I am riding along. Is this possible in any way???

As SUSSAMB noted, you can use Mixed-Travel Routing:

Set your route along routable roads and when you reach your "Path" place a via point on the Path. Now open the Route Properties (Get Info) and change the Activity for that Via Point to DIRECT - see below.

Each point you place in the route from this point on will be in Direct Activity mode. Follow your path (not to many points, you only can have 50 in a route) until you reach a routable road and set a via point. Now do as you did previously in the route properties and change that via point back to Driving Activity mode:

Now each point you place after this will be in Driving Activity mode and will route along the road:

Transfer your saved Mixed Travel Route to your Montana and make sure you have your Route Settings for Recalculation set to OFF. You don't want to let the GPS recalculate a mixed-travel route as it will no long route point to point through the Direct segments.

Hope that helps.
  • POIs, Waypoints, Via-Points, Shaping Points 101

PS: SHOUTING is considered impolite on the internet.
  • Hi. I have not been able to find any information relating to this so any advice would be great. I am trying to create a MTB track in basecamp to transfer back to my Montana 650. Some of the track is on roads, some of it is on dirt trails, which are marked as "paths" on my Topo maps in Basecamp. No matter what I select - bike or MTB (or even walking or hiking) - as the activity, it just does NOT let me create the track on the line marked "path" on the map. The purple line gets created in a huge loop around the "path" following normal roads but never on the "path". I can however draw he track on the "path" using the "draw a track" function. I have now created the whole bike track as a combination of "create a route" routes (for the on road bits) and "draw a track" tracks for the bits that follow "paths" but I would like to join these into one track that I can set on the map and follow as I am riding along. Is this possible in any way???

Yes there is a way using Vias. There is a discussion in one of the threads in this forum... I can't remember where I saw the suggestion. I had the same issue.
  • Mixed routes don't seem to work any longer. Has anyone found that to be the case?

As SUSSAMB noted, you can use Mixed-Travel Routing:

Set your route along routable roads and when you reach your "Path" place a via point on the Path. Now open the Route Properties (Get Info) and change the Activity for that Via Point to DIRECT - see below.

Each point you place in the route from this point on will be in Direct Activity mode. Follow your path (not to many points, you only can have 50 in a route) until you reach a routable road and set a via point. Now do as you did previously in the route properties and change that via point back to Driving Activity mode:

Now each point you place after this will be in Driving Activity mode and will route along the road:

Transfer your saved Mixed Travel Route to your Montana and make sure you have your Route Settings for Recalculation set to OFF. You don't want to let the GPS recalculate a mixed-travel route as it will no long route point to point through the Direct segments.

Hope that helps.

Mixed routes don't seem to work any longer. Has anyone found that to be the case?