This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp 64bit Keeps Crashing?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi,
I updated Basecamp 4.8.4 64bit & Garmin Express this week after updating my O.S. to Mojave 10.14.4
I'm trying to create a route with waypoints. As soon as I create/drop a third waypoint in the route window, Basecamp crashes.
I reloaded all updates and retested, it still crashes in the same manner. I inserted several Route Points with no problem on the map after I drag/dropped "two" route waypoints in the route window but, as soon as I drag/drop a "third" waypoint into the route window, Basecamp crashes.
I also noticed after reopening Basecamp, the Global map appears instead of City Navigator.
The following is a screenshot showing City Navigator as 2020.1 version 23.10 which is the correct updated map.
If anyone has any suggestions for a fix, I would sincerely appreciate it. This may be a 64bit bug from Garmin........ Thanks, Ray

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1474989.jpg
  • RayPaula We were not able to reproduce this issue nor have any other reports of this. Please contact Garmin Support so that they can work with you directly and get those extra details like the distance between the points and type of routing you are doing to cause BaseCamp to fail.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago
    Thank you for the help. What would be a good contact number to call in the morning? Thank you again. Ray
  • I had a similar problem with 4.8.3. I was doing a mass recalculation of a few dozen routes and BC would crash every time then restart with the global map. I narrowed it down to one route which would always crash BC when it was recalculated. I deleted the route and all was fine.
  • Further to my post above, I narrowed down the cause of the crash to a single waypoint in that route. If this waypoint was moved slightly in the route everything was fine. If I created a new route using this waypoint as the first or intermediate waypoint BC crashed, but if I used as a final waypoint it was fine.
  • Thank you for the help. What would be a good contact number to call in the morning? Thank you again. Ray

Since the forums is international, the best way to find your local Garmin support is by going to https://support.garmin.com/

Stephen16w
    That is some interesting information. Did you place that waypoint in BaseCamp or did you import it from a saved file? Also, was the waypoint located on the road or was it off the road just a little bit?
  • Former Member
    I did import a couple waypoints from old routes in my testing. The waypoints were spot on where they belonged on the road. The following are the tests I performed without any luck. Hopefully I can get in contact with someone here in the USA for help. Thank you for yours, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

First, I want to be clear that all my previous routes from Basecamp running on O.S. High Sierra transferred over when I updated to O.S. Mojave 64bit. These older routes show properly without any issues after updating Basecamp, Garmin Express and O.S. Mojave. In the following tests, when I refer to “older routes” those are the ones that transferred over upon updating.

The following are different scenarios after testing.......
    Test 1:
    1) Created one new waypoint to add to an older route.
    2) Dragged/dropped the new waypoint from my route list into the route window.
    3) Immediate crash

Test 2:
    1) Created a new route with approx. eight waypoints that I’ve never made in the past. No crash, no problems.
    2) Copied a waypoint from an older route into my route list and dragged/dropped it into the route window without any problems.
    3) Repeated step 2 above with another copied waypoint. As soon as I dragged/dropped it into the route window, immediate crash.

At this point, it’s obvious that all the named waypoints from Basecamp 32 bit is conflicting with Basecamp 64 bit. With this being said, if you leave all the older routes intact without adding a new waypoint, you’re good to go. I was able to insert route points without any issues.

Test 3:
    1) Created another new route with eight waypoints that I’ve never made in the past.
    2) Copied a couple waypoints from the older routes adding them to this new route list.
    3) Renamed the two older route waypoints as follows;
    a) Toledo, OH to Toledo.
    b) Lexington, KY to Lexington
    4) Dragged/dropped Toledo, no problem
    5) Dragged/dropped Lexington. Basecamp crashes

Test 4:
    Repeated Test 3 but this time, I deleted Toledo and Lexington from my collection.
    1) Created two new waypoints naming them Toledo, Ohio and Lexington, Kentucky
    2) Dragged/dropped Toledo, Ohio to the route with eight waypoints with no problem.
    3) Dragged/dropped Lexington, Kentucky. Basecamp crashes

Now, I’m thinking that their must be something like cookies left in the background picking up the word Toledo and Lexington. At this point, I’m about to delete all my previous old route collections and then start from scratch.
  • RayPaula We still can not recreate this issue. If backup and then delete your collect. Make new waypoint in BaseCamp and it still happens, then I would suggest uninstalling BaseCamp and reinstalling and repeating the steps. If it still an issue, then yes, it time to talk to a support agent so they can see if they can recreate it with you on the phone.
  • Stephen16w
    That is some interesting information. Did you place that waypoint in BaseCamp or did you import it from a saved file? Also, was the waypoint located on the road or was it off the road just a little bit?

I created the waypoint in BaseCamp years ago. It is on a road at an intersection. The name seems to be irrelevant. I appended "X" to the name of the problem waypoint to identify it before creating another waypoint a few metres away with the original name. The new waypoint is fine in routes but the old one still causes a crash when included in a route. For info the waypoint is at S41.44104° E147.13521° and the map is City Navigator Australia and New Zealand NT 2020.1.
  • Former Member
    Thanks goes out to all that responded. I went ahead and dumped everything related to Garmin off my MacBook Pro. I then reloaded and all seems to be working at this time. Thanks again for all your help. Ray
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to Garmin-Heath

I have the same problem with Windows 10. I have sent several error reports to Garmin, so saying Garmin cannot replicate the problem is strange indeed.