BaseCamp 4.8.4 Software Update for Mac

BaseCamp Software Version 4.8.4 is currently available for Mac OS Users.

Changes made from version 4.8.3 to 4.8.4:
  • Fixed routing failures on Unicode maps.
  • Fixed issue with detecting Garmin-mode USB devices.

• Base camp 4.8.4 crashes every 5 minutes ( on iMac 2013 - Mojave) . any idea ? or other version of Base camp to test ? (Beta)

• I was just wondering if there is a reason why the latest version in the Mac App Store is still 4.8.3? Just forgotten to submit the new version, or is 4.8.4 an unofficial release? ;-)

Anyway, I am really happy that Basecamp has been upgraded to 64-bit!

Cheers,

Eike

• 4.8.4 on my iMac 2013 with Mojave runs fine.

• 4.8.4 doesn't crash of my iMac 27" 5k with MacOS 10.14.5 but it is a lot slower to display the maps and draw selection or zoom boxes than 4.7.0 was.

• This update is trash. As soon as I updated I lost years of collections; however, lucky I backed them up...so what I should have been able to do was restore them, right? Well, after being told by basecamp that my collections were successfully restored my tracks are no-where to be found (even after the restart). They only appear again if I install the legacy version of basecamp. Sad to say but basecamp has always given me problems. Maybe if Garmin stopped focusing on constantly releasing new devices and actually made stable releases of the Garmin software that you use with the said devices, basecamp would not be the dumpster it is.

• Never had an issue when updating BaseCamp.  Did you by chance create a different database for your older version so it's not where BaseCamp expects it? Do a search for AllData.gdb or Folder.gfi, that should locate your database locations.  Or look under options in the legacy version to see where the database is.  You can then point the new BaseCamp version at that location under options. 

• I'm running BaseCamp 4.8.6. Maybe that update will help. In any case:

Updates to BaseCamp Mac occasionally have a way of not creating the new folder for holding your previous (precious) data. Or, maybe the folder is created but the old data doesn't copy to it properly. This is especially evident when the upgrade is a one tenth increment, such as 4.7 to 4.8. It's still there on your Mac, BC just doesn't point to it properly.

In Finder, hold down the option and command keys and pull down to 'Library' under 'Go.' Then, navigate to the old database folder: Application Support->Garmin->BaseCamp->Database->4.7. In there, the important files are AllData.gdb and FolderData.gfi . Copy these two files to your 4.8 folder (If there is no 4.8 folder, create one. Or, perhaps simply rename the 4.7 folder '4.8'.)

I had to dig into my iMac's Application Support folder when attempting to make my old HomePort collection show up in a new installation of BaseCamp. (HomePort is not 64-bit software and Garmin apparently is abandoning it... Grrrrr!) Since I had abandoned BaseCamp because it will not open my LakeVu marine charts properly (HomePort does), I copied the two files from the HomePort->2.3 folder.

That seemed to do the trick, although I later noted that none of the track data related to date, time, or elevation were transferred to display properly in BaseCamp. Some tedious transfers via a connected gps device might bring that data back, but recreating the folder structures in which those tracks are contained are probably time consuming enough to make the task unworthy.

A word of warning: Use caution digging around in your Library files and folders. Make sure you have a good HD backup first. It's probably not good sense to copy, move, or trash entire BaseCamp version folders as they contain tens of thousands of hidden files. A lot of time consumed with a possible outcome being a piece of software that no longer works at all. Stick to copies of the two critical files.

And, I will agree with Global_Mike_Reid: Garmin needs to dedicate a greater percentage of resources to better software development and support.

• OMG ! There is no way we ordinary GPS users can reach the level of expertise that you possess. I use basecamp on Windows 7 Base Camp and transfer tracks to my Garmin 64st, and that is the limit of my talents.  Hooray to you.