BaseCamp 4.8.3 for Mac doesn't recognise certain etrex devices

BaseCamp 4.8.3 for Mac doesn't recognise certain etrex devices

I have two devices:

an etrex Legend Cx, serial number 89421371
an etrex Vista Hcx, serial number 16D177863

I also have two installations of BaseCamp on each of:

an iMac 21.5" Mid 2011 running OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
an Macbook Air 13" Mid 2013 running OSX High Sierra 10.13.6

Until recently both installation were at update 4.7.0 and were running satisfactorily.

On March 6 I was prompted to update BaseCamp on each installation by App Store.

I carried out both installations, and both updates went smoothly. After the updates all seemed to be well, the new Apps fired up correctly and my data was intact.

What I didn't test at the time was connecting my devices. Recently I wanted to plan a trip and connected the Vista device to the iMac and found that it was not recognised. I reconnected the device, restarted the device, restarted BaseCamp, and the iMac, all to no effect.

Further testing revealed that neither of the devices was recognised by either of the BaseCamp installations.

I ran system information on the iMac with the devices connected and this confirms that the devices are recognised on the USB bus as:

Legend:

Vendor-Specific Device:
Product ID: 0x0003
Vendor ID: 0x091e (Garmin International)
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0xfd130000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 1000
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Vista:

Vendor-Specific Device:
Product ID: 0x0003
Vendor ID: 0x091e (Garmin International)
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0xfd130000 / 4
Current Available (mA): 1000
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

(i.e. devices appear to iMac as identical)

They are also recognised on the MacBook Air in the same way.

I have since re-instated BaseCamp 4.7.0 on the iMac and can confirm that both devices are recognised immediately by that version of BaseCamp.

I'd welcome any suggestions to remedy this issue, though it seems likely that it will require a further BaseCamp update.

I have informed Garmin about the issue in an on-line chat. I was told that they were already aware of it and were "actively working on it".

I didn't see anything about this issue in the BaseCamp for Mac Forum, so I have made this post here.

• Just received an invite to download 4.8.4 which is supposed to fix this issue. However I can't install it on my iMac because the installer says it needs High Sierra or later. Hopefully this is just the installer being over ambitious and Garmin can fix that? There's also some weird problem with the download link which confuses the browser into thinking it's an html file and trying to open it, but a bit of clicking around and changing the name of the file after download fixed that.