This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Basecamp 4.8.3 reacts sluggish

I've installed the new Basecamp 4.8.3 on my 2017 iMac (OS 10.14.3)

I find the response of the new Basecamp sluggish when moving the map (Openfietsmap Benelux). When I want to move or zoom the map with the mouse, it takes a second or 2 before the maps actually scrolls (zoom) or moves. The redrawing of the map (after moving or zoom) is slow too.
Same goes for selecting and changing a route on the map. I need to select and hold the route for a second or 2 before I can drag the route to another point on the map and alter the route.

I've reverted back to the previous Basecamp version 4.7 (with Timemachine) where the response of the mouse was pretty direct.
  • I have the same issue using a 2015 27inch iMac and os 10.14.3.
  • The screen reacts very slow. Not only on Basecamp 4.8.4 but on previous versions as well. I have a 27" iMac late 2015 with 16 GB RAM and graphic card AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB. No matter how high or low I set screen details and hard drive cache, it always reacts sluggish. It is on the border to unusable slow
    Is the graphic card too weak?
    Or can this be due to the OSM cards I`m using?

On our MacPro in the office Basecamp runs much smoother.

In all I must say: Basecamp 4.8.4 is great. I´m happy for the update. Thanks to all the Garmin guys and developers.
  • The sluggishnes is due to the iMac´s 5k graphics. Too many pixels to redraw.

When working with Basecamp I set my 5k iMac to a lower screen resolution using 1600x900px and it works fine. Screen real estate is the same but with lower resolution. Please try and let me know. Works quite good for me.

• I tried, but it does solve only a part of my issue. The redrawing is indeed a bit faster. Besides that, I don't want to change resolution each time I use Basecamp.

But, the issue is also that with version 4.8.3 (and 4.8.4) that when I move the cursor (the hand) without selecting anything and hover it over an existing route in the map, it takes around 1 or 2 seconds for the cursor to change from the hand symbol to the pointing hand symbol.
    In Basecamp 4.7.0 the cursor changed into the pointing hand instantly when you move the cursor at a route.

1 second might not be much, but it is annoying when creating routes and moving the map.
  • Changing the resolution on my iMac retina display did alleviate some of the sluggishness; thank you. Nevertheless the map redraw times for me are so slow (several minutes) there must be something wrong with my setup. I have a late 2015 iMac with 64gb ram and 2TB SSD, and I've quit all processes I can find. It seems to me, and I don't actually know, is that when my fenix 5x plus is connected, and I want to look at the topographic 1:24,000 map I've purchased and loaded onto the watch, that every time I pan around the map, Basecamp (4.8.4) is going to the watch and pulling the map from the watch via the USB 2.0 connection. Can that be right? I mean that would explain why redrawing the screen is so slow, but I can't believe the application is designed to work that way. For me, and I've only had the watch and Basecamp for a day, it's been almost unusable as a method of creating a backpacking trip in Basecamp and transferring the route to the watch. Am I wrong about Basecamp pulling the detailed topographic map from the watch each time it redraws the screen?
  • Unless you install the map to your Mac then yes, BC has to pull it from the device
  • Basecamp 4.7.0 is faster on the SAME 27” retina IMac than 4.8.4 so it is not just the display.
  • Unless you install the map to your Mac then yes, BC has to pull it from the device

How do you install maps on your Mac?
  • Express will have the option under Map Options if it's possible to do so.
  • I've got an iMac Pro and Basecamp 4.8.4 is by far the slowest it's ever been. Might go back to the 32 bit version while I still can. Maps are installed locally.